Dead Battery

Curious--

My 1994 Legend engine failed to turn over and start. I suspected a dead battery, but when the starter wouldn't turn over with a jump start, I began to suspect other things. I went ahead and bought a new battery and all is well again. My question is: why did the jump start fail to turn over the engine? Thanks

Reply to
Rich Rossler

Not sure how well this translates to your Acura, but I had this experience on a friend's pickup. No crank, even with jumper cables. Replaced starter - same thing! Replaced battery, starts right up. The jumper cable resistance was too much to crank the engine, although if the battery had been just drained instead of bad I bet the battery would have taken on some charge and cranked it okay.

If you were using really puny jumper cables, it could be what happened to you.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Rich Rossler" wrote in news:afCdnRMM8tWO9DjZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Check this;

It saved me a lot of money on my 94 Integra with the same problem. (except that a new battery also failed to crank the motor.)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Your old battery probably failed with internal shorts which were enough to swamp out the booster car battery in series with the resistance of the jumper cables. Not at all uncommon, especially when a battery fails with sudden death syndrome.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Thanks for the responses. My jumper cables were heavy duty, so the bad battery shorting out the jumper attempt sounds plausable to me.

Rich

Reply to
Rich Rossler

Heavy Duty Meaning ??????

  1. The clamps are heavy duty?
  2. The wire coating is heavy duty?

To be truly GOOD the Jumper Cables should be at least 6 Gauge or 4 Gauge

Anything more than 6 Gauge will have difficulty starting a really low battery.

If the battery is internally shorted. =NO START=

Reply to
MedRxMan

What did you jump it with? Same thing happened to my TL today so I jumped it with my Integra ... still wouldn't turn over. When the AAA truck arrived I told him it wouldn't jump. He said there was no way the Integra had enough amps to provide a good jump. To illustrate, he hooked up his truck jumpers and it started right up! I bought a new battery.

BTW my jumper cables were at least as heavy as his (I think mine are 4s) and mine were also a lot shorter.

Reply to
Ron Jones

Reply to
MedRxman