Deciphering the igniter...

Page 2 of 2

They usually still need a capacitor. The primary voltage shoots up to lethal voltages before the secondary can fire the spark plug. If that went into a protective avalanche diode, there'd be no power for a spark.
I have a gizmo that drives two old-school ignition coils out of phase. The MOSFETs (Two NTE2385 in parallel) are rated for >500V and can survive avalanche breakdown. I can get away without using a capacitor only because the coils are rather lossy and the MOSFETs are rather expensive. I once had a similar setup with better coils that would burn out instantly without a capacitor.
http://www.pixelmemory.us/Photos/Nerd/Wire%20Corona/Violet-Corona.jpg
:)
Wow, load of tech infos on igniters here! Sorry, I'm no techie to contribute much info but I'd like your help in troubleshooting a possible igniter problem.
What happens if the igniter fails while cruising at highway speed?
My 93 Integra suddently failed to start last weekend. So I followed an advice to pull out and reinsert the fuel pump fuse, which I did and oddly it restarted the engine. However, after driving for about 10 miles at highway speed, the engine shut-off with a thump noise/lurch. The local Acura Dealer tells me that the igniter failed and it'll cost $320 to replace it. Sounds like a plausible diagnosis?
Any feedback would be appreciated.