Doh! Didn't tighten gas cap all the way, engine light came on...

Oh nuts. Is there any way to avoid a trip to the dealer just to have them reset the light?

I know, I've read tegger's faq, doesn't sound like there's much hope.

It's a 2002 RSX base.

Reply to
Yoda

Uh... never mind. Disconnected the battery for a few minutes, the light was off when I restarted it. As long as the gas cap was all it was...

Reply to
Yoda

================================

Three 'trips' normally corrects it. Trip = fully warmed up engine, then shut off. This is in the Honda (owner's) manuals . . Maybe different for Integra?

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

motsco_ wrote in news:12rlcqonb1hav58 @corp.supernews.com:

Same with the 'Teg/RSX.

Disconnecting the battery's OK so long as you don't have to get the car smogged for the next month or so. And so long as you've got your radio's anti-theft code.

Reply to
Tegger

Yoda wrote in news:2007012616091916807-yoda@Dagobahnet:

Sure is. Shoulda asked here first.

Love the RSX's styling. I liked it way better than the '94-'01 'Teg. Actually the only other ones I liked were the second gen '90-'93's (hey, I bought one new, so...).

...and you'll never know now. Too bad.

AutoZone in the US and PartSource in Canada will allow you to read OBD-II error codes for the magic price of "free".

Reply to
Tegger

Tegger wrote in news:Xns98C4DFFE1D7FDtegger@207.14.116.130:

IMO,the RSX is ugly.I don't like that "overinflated" look the new cars have.

I'd put the 93 Integra first(but without the icky auto seatbelts),then the

94-01,wouldn't even consider the RSX. Of course,I wish they still made the last model Prelude.too. But with LED taillights,CHMSL,and amber rear LED turn signals. 8-)

I see the new Civic has LED taillights.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Ditto the US chain of Schucks/Checker/Kragen. According to a radio commercial I heard a couple days ago, Aamco (the transmission repair chain) seems to be reading and clearing codes gratis now. I wouldn't recommend them for any diagnoses or repairs, though. :-(

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns98C4F38ABE1BFjyanikkuanet@64.209.0.85:

Canada never got those (snicker). We got normal belts.

Reply to
Tegger

I did. And then did some basic, simple, safe experimentation, and it fixed it without a trip anywhere. Yay! Although now I know about autoshack's free service.

Styling/fashion discussion snipped and ignored. I still like my rsx, but if one is going to get into comparing it with other cars, there's lots of better (and worse) options out there, appearance wise.

Reply to
Yoda

Heard ya the last time. Love you, man!

Reply to
Yoda

Yoda wrote in news:2007012712503916807-yoda@Dagobahnet:

What a nice guy.

Reply to
Tegger

Sorry, I was having one of my moments of assholeness. They come much too frequently.

It's just that there are these 2 regular, highly respected (by me, at least) posters here who frequently jump on the styling of the rsx. Not that it matters, but come on guys. If I had the choice between the syling of the 92 integra, and the rsx, but both were available in brand new condition, similarly priced, these opinions might mean something to me, but that wasn't the case, so ignore me if I throw your opinions off.

FWIW, my dad was one of the very first american buyers of an acura, way back in 1985, and has been through quite a few of them, and he's always tried to get me to buy an integra. So I've dutifully test driven many of them, and they never quite did it for me until I tried a rsx. Something about this model just clicked with me - I love driving it!

I will definitely agree with Jim Yanik - another 92 or so integra parked next to me once, and I was impressed with the similarities - besides being the same color, and having a spoiler, etc - but the big difference was that my rsx indeed did look like someone had pumped it up with an air pump.

I will add that for me, and perhaps many of rsx drivers, the rsx is a sort of compromise between what we want, and what we can afford. I paid

17k for mine, which is about what I can afford comfortably, but if I had more, the rsx might have dropped off my list. Hmm, I was going somewhere with this thought, but now I have to go - maybe later.
Reply to
Yoda

Tegger -

Could you elaborate on the smog check & battery disconnection issue? I am about to replace my radio and expected to have to disconnect the battery in the process. Does a smog check require a certain minimum of history on the computer module or something? Thanks.

Reply to
Sandy

Yoda wrote in news:2007012718064216807-yoda@Dagobahnet:

I didn't take offense. I DID state the same opinion many months ago on this NG. "Different strokes for different folks",everybody has their likes/dislikes.

Honda/Acura always has great mechanicals.Their "feel" is consistent across their product line.

I believe this is due to the aerodynamics to reduce drag,it ends up making all the cars look like the futuristic cars in movies;"bubble" or egg-shaped cars.

Myself,I've always liked the low,wide-track sleek look. High,narrow and "inflated" reminds me of the Toyota Echo. The 1986 and last model Preludes were the best style-wise.

Unfortunately,automakers are moving away from the low,wide look. (odd,considering the "modders" are lowering cars they buy...)

I'd have a hard time choosing a NEW auto from today's selection.

BTW,Acura decided to STOP making the RSX,last I read.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Yes indeed, they not only decided, they actually stopped already. They've been completely unavailable new here for some months - apparently there are still some on the lots in other locations, althought the last shipment has already come and gone. Now the closest thing to a sporty car you can get from acura is the TL type s - not a bad choice, actually.

Reply to
Yoda

Normally, emission tests require about a month of history on the ECU to prevent people from disconnecting the battery to wipe out emission codes before a test. The test isn't failed for lack of history, just deferred.

Personally, I don't recall any radio swaps I've felt the need to disconnect the battery for. It's usually a pretty tame process.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Or maybe the AMC Pacer ;-)

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Sandy" wrote in news:IKSuh.9775$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe11.phx:

Sort of. There are certain monitors in the emissions computer that are known as "readiness flags". These flags must all report "ready" when checked. Disconnecting the battery also zeroes all the monitors (none are "ready"). If your location uses the dynamometer method of checking emissions and does not poll the ECM, then you're fine, flags ready or not. If your area's smog stations plug in an OBD-II scanner instead, the car may fail on account of at least one monitor not reporting "ready".

The correct way of clearing any error codes is to use the OBD-II scanner. This way the monitors retain power, and thus their setting.

Depending on your type and amount of driving, it can take anywhere from hours to days to weeks for all the flags to set on their own if the battery has been disconnected. There is an official, specific, "drive cycle" that is supposed to set all the flags during the cycle.

If you have to replace your radio, you have no choice but to disconnect the battery. You will then need to wait a while before being able to get the car smogged. If an emissions test is looming, and you have the choice, it would be preferable to wait until the car has passed the test, then do any electrical work that requires disconnecting the battery. Then the flags can take as long as they want to reset.

Reply to
Tegger

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:XsGdnVSDm- fvOSHYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

the Pacer was "wide-track" compared to the Echo. :-)

Reply to
Jim Yanik