EGR Problem,1991 Acura Integra

Threaded View

Hi

Ok im having a big problem with my integra LS.I was driveing one day
and noticed the check engine light came on,i took it to the local
honda dealership and they told me it was a CODE 12: EGR,they said they
would have to replace the EGR valve to the tune of $473.00,once that
was done i noticed the check engine light came on again...i took it
back to the honda dealership and they ran another test...and once
again code 12 EGR came up,they said this time that it was the EGR
solenoid an that it needed to be replaced,they did it for free and
gave me my car back.

As soon as i left i noticed the check engine light again,took it
back....and what do you know,code 12 EGR came up on the scan.They then
spent the next 3 or so days,re routing the air intake hoses and pretty
much tightning nuts and bolts,not doing much of anything,got my car
back and once again check engine light came on saying code 12 EGR.At
this point the honda dealership head mechanic told me they dont know
what the problem is and there is pretyt much nothing they can do.

That is the back story,here is my problems.

-The car has  a very rough idle when it is in Drive and my foot is on
the brake as soon as i put the car into netural or park  the rough
idle stops and it idles normally.

-Code 12:EGR is still not fixed,and the check engine light comes on
almost everytime i drive the car...ive gotten it tested 4
times,everytime it is the Code 12:EGR problem.

Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appricated.

Re: EGR Problem,1991 Acura Integra

Big mistake. Don't bring a car this old to the dealer for this kind of
service. This is well oustide their normal line of work, it's nothing they
ever see on a regular basis, and the mechanics are not trained for it.

Did they replace the EGR Valve Lift Sensor along with the EGR valve, or was
it part of the valve itself?

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Re: EGR Problem,1991 Acura Integra

Also, did they check for
1) vacuum line damage or splits, and
2) voltage in the wires to the valve lift sensor and the control solenoid
valve?

The only way the ECU knows anything at all about the ECU is the electrical
signals it gets from those two parts. The ECU has no idea how much exhaust
gas is rerouted to the intake except for what it reads from the Valve Lift
Sensor. It controls valve lift by controlling voltage to the Control
Solenoid.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Re: EGR Problem,1991 Acura Integra

Typo. Should read:
"The only way the ECU knows anything at all about the *EGR*..."

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Re: Re: EGR Problem,1991 Acura Integra

"" wrote:

 > >> Did they replace the EGR Valve Lift Sensor along with the
 > EGR valve,
 > >> or was it part of the valve itself?
 > >>
 > >>
 > >
 > >
 > > Also, did they check for
 > > 1) vacuum line damage or splits, and
 > > 2) voltage in the wires to the valve lift sensor and the
 > control
 > > solenoid valve?
 > >
 > > The only way the ECU knows anything at all about the ECU
 >
 >
 > Typo. Should read:
 > "The only way the ECU knows anything at all about the
 > *EGR*..."
 >
 >
 > --
 > TeGGeR®
 >
 > The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
 > www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Hey

All they replaced was the EGR valve itself,and some solenoid they did
not tell me the exact name,but im gonna go out on a limb and assume
that it was the  control valve solenoid you spoke of.They did not
replace the valve lift sensor or run any tests on it.

They did a Vacum test and a compression test and both came out fine.

Re: Re: EGR Problem,1991 Acura Integra

<snip>

Yep.

As I said, they don't understand the system. That lift sensor is now /one
of/ the most likely sources of your error. Having said that, you'd better
ask if the lift sensor was part of the EGR valve assembly. It matters for
what you do next.

The ECU has a map of acceptable valve lifts stored in its memory. It
adjusts valve lift with the control solenoid, then measures what it's done
by reading the signal from the valve lift sensor.

If the ECU is unable to receive the correct signal from the sensor, it will
set a code.

Why has the ECU not been able to make the sensor return the signal it wants
to see?
1) Vacuum leak due to split or deteriorates hoses
2) Broken or disconnected wires (usually at the connector)
3) Valve lift sensor bad
4) EGR valve carboned up and sticking
5) Control Solenoid bad

They shotgunned the problem. And like most "spray-and-pray" efforts, it
didn't work.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Re: Re: EGR Problem,1991 Acura Integra

Are you/they sure that there is adequate vacuum available at the control
solenoid? The vacuum regulator is another source of problems.

David Short
Acura God

Re: Re: EGR Problem,1991 Acura Integra

<snip>

You mean the Constant Vacuum Control Valve. Good point.

If you unplug the hose going from the control solenoid to the air chamber
(at the solenoid), and connect a Mity-Vac to it, you should be able to
obtain 6 to 10 inches of vacuum with the engine idling. If not, the system
will have insufficient vacuum to pull the EGR valve open the correct
amount, just as if one of the hoses was split.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Re: EGR Problem,1991 Acura Integra

Unbelievable!!  Call Honda USA and ask for the Area Rep and tell them your
story.
MZ

Site Timeline