Erradic automatic shifting '94 Integra

Here's another one for you...I've had this 94 integra for a couple of years now, and since day one it has shifted funny. I guess you could call it a
"spike" in the shifting - where the rpms come way up, then drop and allow the transmission into the next gear...really annoying. Local mechanic couldn't figure it out, so I more less just drive it like a manual and avoid excessive acceleration. Other than this the car is perfect, and even this problem doesn't seem to be the end of the car. love to hear if you've heard of this before.

What you describe is known as "flaring".
Drain and fill the fluid at least three times with genuine Honda ATF-Z1. Drive the car for a minute or so between changes.
If this does not cure the problem, you have sticky pistons inside the valve body, or shift solenoids that are operating slowly.
Any lights on (or flashing) on the dashboard?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

the case...However the "d4" on the dash does not light up at all any more, but that has JUST happened.
I'll try draining and filling 3 times - you say to drive a minute or so between each time, I am assuming after FILLING each time, take it for a spin.
Also is this fluid specific to dealer or can I find it elsewhere? Thanks

And when you check the level, check it within one minute of turning the engine OFF. Honda automatics are a bit different from others.
You should check the level now. Is it low? That might be all the problem is.

The REAL stuff is only available at the dealer, and is worth every penny.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

More precisely:
1) Drive car until engine is fully warm 2) Shut engine off 3) Within one minute, check transmission fluid level.
Yes this is correct. The engine is NOT running when you check the automatic transmission fluid level.