Extended warranty paid off on 03 tl-s

Just wanted to say that I'm glad I went through with the extended warranty for my '03 TL-S. I bought the car used sometime at the end of 2005 when it still had the original warranty... Three weeks ago, when I took it for the 60K mi mark check up to my dealer, the dealer told me that they noticed a nock coming out of the lower part of the engine... To make the long story short, they replaced the whole short block assembly including the timing belt, gasket kit (rear and front), and some other parts. The noise was coming from the rod bearings, as the dealer explained to me. He explained that the previous owner (since he knew I couldn't be me as I'm very vigilant taking care of the car) must've driven the car with very low on engine oil or no oil at all for an extensive period of time thus causing the dangerous rod bearing wear. I must say that I sort of heard the noise myself too but never gave it much meaning as it was rather subtle to me. And who knows, maybe the engine even would have run like that for a while with no significant problems. But hey, since it's all done under the warranty, costing me only the $100 deductible, why not be proactive and do the whole thing now. Just out of curiosity, I asked the dealer how much a repair like this would've cost me with no warranty and his reply was about $4000. I felt especially lucky after that :)

Dimitri

Reply to
Dimitri Cohen

What is really cool is that this was covered even though they thought it was due to prior neglect. Generally extended warranties don't cover neglect, even if by a prior owner. Was it an Acura factory extended warranty? Your dealer did right by you.

John

Reply to
John Horner

John Horner wrote in news:OBuEh.4282$tR1.4166@trnddc05:

Sounds like a lot of speculation on the dealer's part.

Reply to
Nobody

Yep, I have the factory backed "Acura Care" warranty.

Reply to
Dimitri Cohen

The point is that even with that speculation Acura didn't try to pin the cost on the owner. Talk to a GM owner in a similar situation sometime!

Reply to
John Horner

John Horner wrote in news:cgkLh.9430$e47.3975 @trnddc05:

That doesn't make sense...you talk as if the speculation strengthens their position against the owner...it doesn't...my point was that, SINCE it was only speculation about running on low oil, that they couldn't pin it on the owner.

Reply to
Nobody