Front End Noise after Trans. Replaced

Hi All, The transmission was failing on my 2000 TL and got it replaced by the dealer no problem. Since then I've been noticing rattles in the front end. Is it possible some front end components were damaged when the transmission was replaced? I know the ball joints have to be separated to do the job. Everything checked out fine when I bought the car in June 2006. Anybody have this problem after a transmission replacement? Thanks

Reply to
gp

Can't answer your question because I haven't had it replaced (yet).

Wondering what the symptoms of "failing" were and what your mileage was at time of replacement.

Thanks

Reply to
Oldtimer

Hi Oldtimer, I first noticed a problem at about 130,000 kilometres (~70,000 miles). The symptoms were a slight shuddering when applying light gas pedal pressure at 50KPH (~30MPH). I would guess the transmission was shifting between 2nd and 3rd or possibly between 3rd and 4th, although I suspect the former because I don't think it would shift to 4th at such a low speed. The extended warranty was up in June 07 so I wasn't going to take any chances. The dealership was very helpful and only asked that I try a transmission fluid change (which they did free of charge), before replacing the transmission. When I told them the symptoms remained unchanged they didn't even take the car for a test drive - just asked me when I wanted to bring the car in for the work. The work was done in one day - I dropped the car off in the morning and picked it up the same afternoon with a brand new transmission installed and tested. BTW, it has performed flawlessly since. Good luck with yours and, if it does fail, I hope you're treated as well as I was. gp

Reply to
gp

gp wrote in news:eur79h$2hq$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

You're going to have to be a bit more specific about the "rattles".

Such as...

1) exact instances when they occur, 2) location as best you can place it, 3) exact nature of the sound, 4) car speeds it occurs at, 5) happens warm or cold, 6) going over bumps, smooth road, 7) only when turning (which direction), only when going straight, 8) etc, etc, etc.

Help us help you.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks for your reply. The noise happens when travelling on rough roads/potholed pavement. The rattles are coming from the front end. Speed does not matter. Temperature does not matter. Going straight or turning does not matter. The noises are the type you hear when travelling on rough roads with worn ball joints. The car (front end) clunks into potholes and rattles over rough roads. Thanks for any help/info you can give.

gp

Reply to
gp

gp wrote in news:euuq3t$mk4$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Check the stabilizer bar links. Bet you've either got one that's broken (if bushing type) or the upper ball is worn out (if balljoint type).

Reply to
Tegger