Fuel Light on 2001 CL-S?

When the fuel light goes on how many galons do I have left in the tank?

When the light comes on, go to the gas station, fill your tank and subtract the amount added from the size of your tank capacity :o) On my 2001 3.2 TL the light comes on when I can add 13.6 gallons. The manual says tank capacity is 17.17 gallons leaving about 3.5 gal in my tank when the light comes on. Simple math ? I have heard that it is not good to run out of gas on newer cars. Harm to fuel pump, etc ? Neal

Yeah, thats what I'll end up doing. I just filled up from a quarter tank and that sparked my curiosity. So I'll say three gallons at 21mpg thats 60 miles. I get some pretty awful gas mileage on this car these days.,... Thay may or may not have to do with my tendency to show off to my friends a bit. (These dumlops don't chirp as well as the factory Michelins)