Fuel System Flush

Ok y'all,

I have a question: I got my oil changed today (Syntec 5-20) and the technician (at this quick lube place) told me that I needed a "fuel system flush"; apparently, it is recommended every 24K Km (18kmiles). Well, I refused as the own wer book says nothing of such flushes.

He also suggested a engine oil flush.

Are these things really necessary? The owner's manual says nothing of these procedures, so I suspect not.

Your thoughts?

Spec: Acura RSX 2004 Mileage: 29,000 KM (22K miles) Synthethic Oil - Castrol Syntec since 20,000 KM, prior to this mileage, I used semi synthetic oil(weight 5-20) Oil Intervals: 8,000 KM (6000 miles-ish) Live in Ottawa (gets cold up here) - Using severe maintenance schedule followed Easy driving style

25 KM trips in stop and go traffics

Thanks!

Reply to
Frank

"Frank" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@usenet.zapto.org:

That's 15K miles, not 18. Get a Metric calculator if you aren't bilingual for measurements.

And on an '04 it's the last thing you need. Keep your gas tank as full as possible and take it out on the highway for an hour or so every month, then leave it alone.

Jelly Lube is the *last* place you want to go to for advice on auto maintenance. I prefer to get my car serviced at places where the employees' knuckles don't reach the ground.

Rip off, *especially* in your case.

Cool car. I love the looks.

That's 18K miles, not 22. Boy oh boy. I hope I don't have to correct you again.

Again! That's 5,000 miles. A bit long for your driving style, but acceptable.

That's 15 miles per trip. You should be giving the car a good hour's highway run once a month to burn off water, gas and acids that collect in your oil. At 15 miles per trip, your oil is likely never even getting close to the magic 212F. (That's the boiling point of water. You can look up the Metric equivalent.) ;^)

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I am bilingual... but not in measurements...I tried to convert metric to the old system, but to be honest, I have **NO** idea of how the old system actually worls. I am from that new generation who says "half a pound? what's that??? Just give me 500 grams of leam ham please"

Tank is seldom below 3/8 empty..

Yea, you are right, of course, hence refusing their offers... but one never knows

Thanks, a (early) mid life crisis thing... Wife was unexpectantly amiable to this purchase! Carpe diem on this one.

Sorry again ;0

The manual says about 8,000 km, but I have been trying to do less (7000 km)

212F (F??) Give me 100 c anytime!

Yea, I do MTL-OTT once a month. 2.5 hours each direction. Nice road, nice classic rock music; So I guess I am fine on that point - But I get the point: oil change interval should be shorter if you do not do long trips...

Teg, Is there *anytime* when these services are even useful for a car? I do have an older Venture van with 100K km...

Reply to
Frank

TeGGer is right Frank, it's important to give the car a good "blow" at least once a month on the highway, in fact a couple of times a month would be better. Short range driving in stop/start conditions sure as hell aint good long term. He's also right about keeping the tank level high. I think you should look elsewhere for servicing.

Reply to
michael t

IMHO, no.

Fuel system flushes are a case of using a cannon to kill a fly. As long as the fuel filter is changed on schedule (or every couple years, if no formal schedule) and you use fuel injector cleaner in the tank as needed, there is nothing left to clean.

Oil flushes are more sinister. If you really have a sludge problem - like

- the oil flush won't really help you. As long as you have been changing your oil faithfully you won't have a sludge problem. But an oil flush may very well create seal leaks, as I learned the hard way when I was a callow youth. Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Frank, why spend good money for a great car and try to save a few bucks, Euros or whatever at the "quick lube"? I have a 2003 TL and it only goes to dealer or a recommended private mechanic. I have a friend who had a

2004 TL-S, took it to quick lube. The tech didn't notice the seal that didn't come off with the old filter and installed new filter and oil. Friend picked up car, hit the freeway and punched the accelerator. All the oil blew out of the engine, various pieces of metal broke, froze etc. Now a month later he has the car back with a rebuilt engine after a lot of unpleasantness, loss of use of the vehicle etc. The $16.95 oil cgange was a real bargain...

Just my observati> Ok y'all,

Reply to
John Smith

I get 22 when I do the calculation. Did kilometers somehow get shorter when I wasn't looking?

Reply to
E Meyer

Oops! Never mind. If you do the calculation upside down, you get 22. Someday I'll learn to think first, then post...

Reply to
E Meyer

You actually opened up your service schedule. That means you are smarter than the average customer they lie to.

Of course. Another unecessary job they make money off of.

Exactly right.

-------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

"Frank" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@usenet.zapto.org:

Get a Metric conversion calculator from Staples. $10.

You don't really want to know it, then. Too...un-Canadian...right?

I was almost in high school when Metric first came along and it was the most confusing thing I'd ever seen. I'm used to it by now, though.

You're pretty new then. Probably still have some of the factory warranty left.

Yes, a fuel system flush is an excellent idea on older cars. Motorvac has a procedure that works superbly. Canadian Tire does Motorvac for about $120.

As Mike Pardee says, oil flushes are worse than useless. Don't ever bother with them. If your motor has sludge, you're better off leaving it alone and just start changing the oil more frequently.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Alex Rodriguez wrote in news:duq1cl$18u$ snipped-for-privacy@newsmaster.cc.columbia.edu:

Ooooh... That one hurt somebody, somewhere!

Reply to
TeGGeR®

1 mile = 1.6 kilometers. Any calculator will do.
Reply to
Venture Rider

Venture Rider wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

To be more precise, 1.6093, not 1.6.

1.6 works for a rough, off-the-top-of-your-head calculation.
Reply to
TeGGeR®