GAS PRICES - CANADA

Dear friends & Group,
It is rumoured that we are going to hit close to a $1.42 a Litre by the summer. Want gasoline prices to come down?
We need to take some intelligent, united action. Phillip Hollsworth, offered
this good idea: This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the don't buy gas on a certain day campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, this is a plan that can really work. Please read it and join with us!
We all know that we're being controlled by the oil companies. Does everyone remember how they drove up the prices way past a dollar and got the gas prices to where they wanted them, claiming there was a shortage of oil. Well, there isn't any shortage now, and the oil is more abundant than it was 35 years ago when the price of a litre of gas was 29 cents!!!
Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre of gas is CHEAP at $0.78-$0.85, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace....not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we cant just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.
Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one), PETRO CANADA, SHELL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of PETRO CANADA and SHELL buyers. Its really simp! le to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point...keep reading and Ill explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!
I am sending this note to at least thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!
Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.
How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! Ill bet you I didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.
PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $0.64 OR LESS RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK!!!!!!!
The concept of boycotting particular gasoline retailers or wholesalers has never worked and will never work, because the entire market is responding to the laws of supply and demand. With the burgeoning of auto markets in China and India, good luck with controlling demand.
If you want to pay less for gasoline, buy less gasoline. Trade for a more efficient car or drive less, or both. If you can't or won't do that, at least spare us the crackpot ideas.
Mike

Even more than that: Oil companies regularly sell base stocks to each other. If one has a glut, they will sell it on the open market.
Boycott one brand, and the others will pick up the slack and experience an INCREASE in demand.
If anything, a boycott of the sort promulgated by the OP could result in HIGHER prices as the non-boycotted suppliers bid up spot prices in an attempt to fill the sudden change in demand caused by the boycott.

And crackpot it is. Also crackpot is the notion that they are sudddenly making a killing on gas and are "controlling" prices.
It's true that, for instance, Exxon has increased their net by some 13% over the last complete fiscal year (from an 8% margin to 9%), but they don't "control prices".
An interesting link, sort of relevant here: http://www.aip.com.au/pricing/oecd.htm
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ