Heated Seats

Hi,
Both driver and passenger side heating pads have failed, or I noticed that they broke, at the same time. Since I use the driver side more than the
passenger side, I find this unusual. I did check the wiring connections under both seats and they seemed to connected properly. I did check the fuse on the passenger side and it is good.
The Acura Dealer said it costs about $300 per seat to replace the heating pads.
Is this a reasonable price? Are there any things I should check before I believe the heating pads are bad?
I have a 2001 CL Type S.
Thanks for any help Scott Los Angeles

Sounds suspicious, sinc eboth aren't functioning. I wonder if there is an "in-line fuse" somewhere between the power source - fuse panel - heating element? I'd take it to an auto / electrical shop to get checked out first. MZ

Yeah, I replied to myself . . . Dealer replacements are not your only option (if they need to be replaced). My '98 TL didn't come with heated seats so I had a custom shop install an aftermarket product, which still works great! MZ

Checking fuses by visual inspection may not be good enough, you have to measure it with an ohm meter to make sure. I had once spend hours on a circuit and finally traced it to a bad fuse that looked perfectly good. Felt so stupid. So do that first, that would be an easy fix.
With the ignition off, removing the power and ground terminals at the pads - if you have power when the ignition is on, than the pads are bad. With the power and ground terminals still disconnected to the pads, you could also measure the resistance across the pad terminals. If its a short or and open, pads are bad, but if its few ohms, pads should be good.
If both broke at the same time, I suspect either the power circuit or the control circuit is bad and not the pads. First I would check the switch/thermostat at the console to the pads. I think a bad switch/thermostat is more likely after a bad fuse in you situation.
Good luck.

I have an 00 TL and they both went bad under warranty...thankfully. And it was the bottom seat heater pads that went bad. Perhaps they are just defective (or cheap) from the factory, just like the transmission was... ;-)
Bob