How are these Japanese luxury brands doing these days?

Page 1 of 3
I am trying to gauge on how well are these three Japanese luxury car makers doing at the present. It is my impression that the market seems to cool down for them. Either they do not offer some appealing
products, the american cars are getting better and offer better values, their Japanese siblings (Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mazda) are more appealing and cheaper to the people, or they do not meet with the high end luxury car's expectation. Is it any of the above? Are they doing well in comparison to other car makers, particularly the german car manufacturers? The Japanese luxury cars do not seem to give a "shock and awe" products at the moment. Despite of the problems and dissatisfaction toward quality of German luxury cars, Audis, Benz and Bimmer seem to offer lots of exciting, new products. Am I correct on this? Do young professionals, business type people prefer to get a Bimmer than a GS or TL or a G35? Does Audi offer better products in their S4, S6 and S8? Strangely, those products seem to have low long term satisfaction from their owners. Do these people look for quality, style, or sheer performance? Could Japanese car makers ever match the performance of German luxury cars? I noticed that Benz has a variety of products that they offer. The Japanese counterparts only offer one type for each categories (Lexus IS, GS, ES, RX, LS or Acura RSX,CSX,TL,EL, RDX and MDX, or Infiniti G35, and M35?). Should these Japanese Luxury car makers try to go into more product varieries? Or... is it really that BMW engine is the ultimate driving machine? I have not heard people raving about a Honda TL or EL. There are not too many GS430 or 450h on the street. Infiniti G or M35 looks nice, and solid, but they do not stand out in the crowd. They seem to be too quiet these days... or run out of steam? Just curious!

You could accept what comes your way via Usenet - and do the copious math yourself, or Google a few of the more well-respected purveyors of customer satisfaction, such as:
http://www.jdpower.com/autos
-BH-
Lexus is the top selling luxury brand in the US and continues to gain market share. Acura's TSX has the highest resale value in it's class.
Those who are seeking the hottest/trendiest/flashiest vehicle and plan to get ride of it by the time the warranty is over are still fawning over European brands, but other than that bunch the market continues to trend heavily towards the Japanese brands. Infiniti seems to be the one Japanese brand which is chasing the trendy crowd.
John
Lexus has the highest sales in the US, higher than any other luxury car maker, but in Europe people don't tend to like Lexus. It's hard to know why, but in Europe automotive tastes seem to differ significantly. E.g. virtually everyone in Continental Europe drives with manual transmission and if you don't people look down on you. In America most drive automatics. Lexuses tend to be more reliable and refined than other luxury cars, so perhaps the difference in sales reflect American consumers' utilitarianism and individualism versus the European consumers' snobbery.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexus
I think the lack of Lexus cars in Europe is due to the fact that European drivers are interested in the driving and not the gadgets as we Americans are. Lexus is built for the American market that wants comfort and reliability at the expense of driving fun.

Really the European cars have gadgets that work and do right. The Japanese gadgets are just not the same - they just don't do right! Engineering for show, not go is the Japanese moto from Mr Moto.

I've heard BMW's i-Drive is very popular.

If I compare Lexus (with IS,ES,RX,GS,LS,SC,LX and GX series), Acura (EL,TL,RL,TSX,MDX,RDX), or Infiniti (M, G, FX and Qx series) with Mercedes Benz (MB), MB has much more products to offer. There are A,B,C,E,S,SLK,SL,CLK,CL,SLR,CLS,ML and G series car that MB offers, in comparison to the Japanese luxury brands.
On 14 Apr 2007 18:38:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com graced this newsgroup with:

you're so right. Run out a buy one.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

...but because of Mercedes' naming convention, there is overlap in those model, that is, there aren't as many series (Mercedes calls them "classes") as there are model names.
--
St. John
Felson's Law:
On 14 Apr 2007 18:38:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

And GM loves people that think like you do. ------------------------------------------------------------- The email address associated with this messages is a SPAM trap that is automatically deleted before downloaded to my PC.
I have owned MB, Jaguar, Ford, GM, & VW. I think the Lexus overall is better than any of these. The only problem I have with Lexus is the softness of the paint job. It seems to suffer more from road rash than any (Except Jaguar) of the other cars that I have owned.

graced this newsgroup with:

"road rash"? You lowsiding your cars?
You are obviously not a DRIVER. The Lexus cars are nice but not for DRIVERS. Tracking and steering are way off. Pick up from 50 is poor.

I've owned five of them, and I DRIVE them, so I guess I'm a DRIVER.
My current GS430 handles beautifully, and takes off from 50 like it was shot out of a cannon.
graced this newsgroup with:

nice..so the Germans found another sucker...hook, line and sinker. LOL
It would take me several pages, perhaps a short book, to list all the ways that my 06 LS430 premium whatsit version comes up short in comparison to any german kar. But it is supposed to be durable and reliable. The dealers are no better, in fact are worse because they are such liars. As to handling, it sucks. Made a drive today that I used to make a couple times a week for 3 years in my S Klass. The LS was bouncing all over the road with the slightest wind. Three hours in it felt bad, and my wife who never complains, said she was tired of riding! She never got tired of riding in the S Klass. The tranny is rough, but it is only 6 speeds. The pick up seemed ok, but rough and sort of irregular when kicking in, esp at road speeds like in passing. True, the S Klasse couldn't pass a stealership practicaly, and did strand me by the side of the road on average every 3 years. In the first 10,000 miles the LS 430 has developed a bad trunk motor and the ac vents do not vibrate back and forth properly. And it has to go in every 5000 miles for more cheap inferior dino oil. So it sees the stealership more often than the old S Klass used to. But at least the thing is cheap! About 30% less expensive than the S Klass. So if you can't afford the best, drive a Lexus. Did I mention that when you hit the open trunk button it unlatches the trunk which does not open till you go back and grab it by the little button on the trunk? And when you want to close the trunk, you have to push it all the way down till the trunk closer motor wakes up, starts screeching, and pulls it down the last inch or so. Oh yes - the open turnk button on the dash is sooooo usefull - the button you have to push to open the trunk will open it anyway without the dash button being pushed. Engineering for show, not go. Buy a Lexus and you can say you have all the parts. Most of them work, sort of. But it didn't cost much and it will run for ever, probably. Hmmm ... wonder why Lexus cuts off its free call in for repair service at 50,000 miles while the Krauts let theirs run on forever or until the kar destructs or is hit by an A Bomb.

What kind of an idiot keeps a car that makes him so unhappy?
this newsgroup with:

ah..but mc-idiot is a regular whiner..does the same in the MB groups. He's delusiional, just killfile him like everyone else has.

remember a Plymouth Duster....)