How are these Japanese luxury brands doing these days?

Not yet, but I hear performance Lexuses are coming in the future in the F series. But your observation seems accurate. Many people do like being isolated from the road. I myself would like to get from A to B in as much comfort as possible.

Reply to
norak

The IS-F, in dealerships in early '08, will cost about the same as an M3, be about the same size, and have about 70 more horsepower.

Reply to
DaveW

The BMW M3 has 420 hp. That would mean the IS-F would have 490 hp. I heard Lexus say power would be over 400 but I haven't heard anyone say whether it would be 490.

Reply to
norak

An M3 has 333 hp.

Reply to
DaveW

In the "future vehicles" section at bmwusa.com, BMW says that the new M3 will have 420 HP.

Reply to
Ray O

2008 Corvette will have a 430 HP engine standard. Weighs a bit less than those sedans, too. Corvette's not a luxury car? Well, if Dave can tell me the Lexus LS is a driver's car, I can call the 'Vette a luxury car, OK?
Reply to
ACAR

First, I never said that.

Second, you can call a head of lettuce a kumquat for all I care, that won't mean the rest of the world will have to abide by your rules. Whatever arbitrary standards you've decided make a car a "driver's car", they're yours, not mine.

Reply to
DaveW

"ACAR" wrote: [snip ...]

Yup, sounds good to me ...

DaveW: so I guess you don't have a Lexus you'd stack up against an M3 *right now*, do you?

We're not talking "woulda coulda shoulda" here, or what might be available, depending if said Lexus really does come with that much HP, and I suppose depending if the M3 doesn't change, and depending if the Lexus isn't "portly" and hampered by excessive weight added by the need for more coddling and comfort ...

Going out on a limb here, I'd say an early 70s Datsun 510 was more of a "driver's car" than most any Lexus so far ... =8^o Kumquat, indeed.

Reply to
Kikune Mikutamo

"Stack up against"? That entirely depends on personal preference, doesn't it?

It's a matter of taste. I'd much rather drive my GS430 than an M3. Otherwise, I'd have bought an M3.

Comfort is a positive attribute to me.

You're way out on that limb. This whole concept of "driver's car" is a little fuzzy to me - is it more desirable to have a harsher suspension, hard seats and more noise in everyday traffic conditions? I don't race on public streets, and like most M3 owners, my car will never see a racetrack.

Reply to
DaveW

I agree, everyone has their own tastes, likes and dislikes.

Hmmm, so a "driver's car" equates to racing on public streets? I suspect many of those who prefer a "driver's car" want a car that communicates what it's doing, and one that is dependably responsive to their input.

I think your statement about a "driver's car" concept being fuzzy is a bit disingenuous, though. You know what we're talking about, and you know, however good your Lexus is, that it doesn't fit the bill in that respect. If those attributes don't matter much to you, fine. Just don't pretend that there's something wrong with people who do appreciate them, or that your vehicle is superior. It isn't.

How's this: a driver's car is fun to drive, for those who enjoy that sort of thing?

For others, we have Buicks ...

And Lexus ...

Sorry, Buick owners, that was unfair.

Ha ha.