How Can I Improve Acura 07 TL Suspension, Ride Comfort ?

How Can I Improve - Acura 07 TL - Suspension, Ride Comfort ?

Los Angeles - Acura owner seeks advice on how improve ride quality/ comfort on automatic Trans / 2007 Acura TL / OEM Tires Michelin 17 X 8

- Size: 235/45R17

Seeking any feedback on suspension adjustments or aftermarket products to help alleviate some of the stiff /harsh road ride.

Love this car's styling / interior & exterior, fit and finish, gas mileage, etc. Just looking to tradeoff some road handling in exchange for ride quality/Comfort !

There must be some suspension options available from someone somewhere ?

Any suggestions, technician contacts or web site info, Greatly Appreciated !

Reply to
Craig

You didn't test drive the car before buying? You're just now finding out that the ride is pretty stiff? Why do you think it has such good handling?

Any change in the suspension will in all likelihood negatively affect the handling of the car. Taut suspension = good handling. Soft suspension = better ride comfort = poorer handling.

One thing that "might" help is to get tires that have a different aspect ratio. 45 series tires have less sidewall to help soak up road irregularities, bumps, etc. However, putting a tire with a larger sidewall (e.g. 55 series) may very well mean that the tires will not fit into the wheel well, and hitting a bump may push them up against the top of the wheel well. You'd have to somehow limit the amount of travel that the shocks have to avoid this.

I'm sure there are other ways of dealing with this, but they're likely to not be cost-effective.

Tom S. Houston, TX

Craig wrote:

Reply to
Tom Simchak

Craig wrote in news:b17a93c4-b40b-4ef8-b2e3- snipped-for-privacy@d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Wait a year. Two things will happen:

1) You'll get used to it, and 2) the shocks will soften up a bit.

Didn't you test drive the car before you bought it?

I suppose you can install softer aftermarket shocks and springs if you really can't stand the ride. Plus taller tires and smaller wheels would give you more shock absorption (but may not fit around the brakes). Doing all the above will cost a goodly chunk of change and probably do very bad things to the car's handling, possibly even to the point of making it dangerous in emergency maneuvers.

Reply to
Tegger

---------------------------

I use 32 PSI in my CR-V tires. If I ran them at ~27 they would be way smoother. Your (goofball?) dealer may have left your tires at the factory SHIPPING PRESSURE of 40 PSI. It happens more often than you know.

Cheapest thing you can try, that's for sure.... :-)

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Tegger wrote in news:Xns99FD853C7F292tegger@207.14.116.130:

He probably got tired of the ride after awhile,it began to wear on him. It happens.

I think he could switch to 16" wheels and move to a higher profile series(55 or 60 series?) and not affect handling significantly(he probably does not push it to near the limits anyways.).I'd also go to a directional tread pattern,I think they are quieter.He should measure how much clearance he now has between rim and caliper.That will tell him how much smaller a rim he can use,and thus how higher a "profile" tire.(higher series number) Keeping tire diameter is important to keeping your speedo accurate. The Tire Rack has online tire/wheel data for the many brands they sell.

He might even be able to pick up somebody else's wheels from their upgrade to bigger rims,save some money there.

changing shocks and springs is a crapshoot;IMO,you would not be able to get a proper balance like the factory setup.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Recommend a trade on a new Buick. Toyotas also have a soft ride -- Avalon perhaps.

Reply to
tww1491