How do you haggle on a year old model?

I am looking to buy a 2008 TSX. When you run TSX (Nav + Auto) in Edmund's, you get MSRP - 31,000 Invoice - 28, 600 TMV - $28,293

Now there are 2009 tsx's out. Looking at dealers, most have tons of 2008 tsx's left.

When negotiating for a "new" year old model, what do you do?

Reply to
bp1

bp1 wrote in news:b2c45059-7893-4e5a-a052-bd7bb8f39106 @z72g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Get quotes for several dealers. Pick the lowest one. Walk out if they try to shove something up your ass, which they /will/ try to do.

Reply to
Tegger

That's fine if there's multiple dealers within driving distance. The nearest dealer other than the one in my city is a 3 hour drive away. Correction. 1.5 hour drive. The next closest one after that is the 3 hour drive away. When I was pricing my '06 at the end of the model year, the one 1.5 hours away was higher than the one in my city, and the one in my city is a take-it-or-leave price dealer, as are all the dealerships owned by this corporation. It's got a family name on it, but it's still a corporation and no one in the family ever appears in advertising like other 'family' owned dealers.

When I lived in Florida, there was a Lexus dealer in Tampa and a Lexus dealer in St. Petersburg, maybe 30 minutes away from each other. Turns out they were both owned by the same corporation. Needless to say, there was no price competition between the two.

Reply to
Bob

I bought four new cars using the internet and you select the best prices from the net manager. I got some very good prices without playing around with the salesperson - just go in a pick it up at the quoted price. Costco and maybe Sam's Club have car purchasing programs. Sometimes you could get well below invoice if you know what incentives are available. If tons of your model is available, sometimes the dealers have advertised specials that's even better than the internet prices just to make room for the new cars.

One car I had to buy at invoice since it was a hot item with high demand and the dealers usually sell above invoice.

Sounds like you may need to do a little driving to get goods deals if your local dealer won't match prices.

Reply to
<Frank>