How good is the sound insulation on the newer accords or acura tls?

Hello,

I have not test driven/compared the Accord or the TL in a while. In 2001 when I bought my TL they both had bad sound insulation. Can you please let me know if they have improved the sound insulation on them much since then? Is there much of a difference in the sound insulation between the current TL and the current Accord?

You don't hear the engine of my car so much as the sound from the road. In California many of the roads have grooves for water/traction so tires make a good amount of noise on the road. I've noticed when I am in a friend's Toyota it is not as noticeable. And I've gone through a few types of tires so it isn't the traction/grooves of my tires.

Reply to
comcast

I drove both the Accord and the TL in late 2003. The TL had much more sound insulation than the Accord. There is sound insulation in the trunk and even in the rear wheel wells of the TL.

I purchased a new 2004 TL. In retrospect, the Accord was a much better deal and I have had many small problems with the TL. Also, it rattles! The TL had a transmission recall, as well as a recall to replace defective tires. There were poor assembly items, e.g., gaskets exposed in the interior, loose screws, squeaks, squeals when the windows are in use, ... I could go on but it's too depressing.

The 2005/6 TLs may be better. I know the 2006 engine is now rated at 258 hp instead of the 270 the 2004/5 are rated. There was a change in the testing protocol.

Overall my TL has been OK, but it surely is the worst Honda product I have ever owned. I bought two new Honda Preludes (no problems at all with either the 1985, nor the 1993). I also own a 1997 Acura NSX which has had absolutely no problems.

With the high price of gasoline, I have been careful with the accelerator and found that I can get 24 mpg around town and can approach 30 mpg on the highway. That's pretty good for a mid-sized sedan.

Good luck.

- Russ in Santa Barbara

Reply to
rll