ILX - any comments?

Page 3 of 3
On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 20:50:34 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

Aha.
The ILX begs for the turbo four from the RDX or whatever it is, or better yet the screamer from the S2000. The Accord 2.4 is no engine for a sports car, not for the Si either.
Also a reworked suspension and a reworked cabin for better visibility, for starters. And whatever else the list is for the base Civics.
J.

You can put lipstick on a pig, and you can put the Acura symbol on a Civic...
"JRStern" wrote

I read the 2013 Accords will have a manual [transmission!] available. Geez, when I first read "you just can't get an Accord with a manual," I thought you were referring to the manual that comes in the glove box...

Accord has always had a manual trans available.
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote

Ah yes, and looking at the Honda site I see that that is in the LX and EX, only. Somewhere I'd read people stinking about no manual transmissions available anymore in Accords... thus my previous comment. Wrong again. ;-)
"Howard Lester" wrote

I should clarify: Only LX and EX offer manuals. LX-P, SE, and any of the EX-L or EX V6's offer automatics only.
On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 12:29:08 -0400, "Howard Lester"

Typical dealer in Los Angeles will have 0 or 1 actually in stock, out of dozens. I think last time I bought there were maybe 2 within a fifty miles radius, including what, twenty dealerships?
So "available" is what you make of it.
J.
On 8/5/2012 2:28 PM, Howard Lester wrote:

Me too. Comfort ride and comfort food.
On 8/6/2012 12:57 AM, cameo wrote:

Only in ponderous stop & go traffic.
On 08/04/2012 09:12 AM, JRStern wrote:

the electronics are, but the actuators are not. and the throttle plate on "fly-by-wire" is driven by a stepper motor that most definitely has a limited life.

to be honest, it had never occurred to me that a manufacturer would do this, but driving a rental chevy hhr a few years back, "enlightened" me. the throttle delay on that thing, once you were above about 30mph, was absolutely ridiculous - nearly 2 seconds unless you put your foot down hard.
on the freeway, you end up treading to get it to react, then backing off to moderate the over-rev - a ridiculous situation. on mountain roads, you've either got to enter a curve "hot" because the revs will not recover on the other side, or you've got to go in so slow, you waste a bunch of gas having to re-speed on the exit. it's actually very dangerous.
but there are aftermarket re-programming kits for gm vehicles that allow you to zero out this stuff. but then you can't use cruise because the hysteresis built into /that/ part of the system hasn't been cracked yet and the cruise freaks out when it sees the motor responding "too fast". or it hadn't last time i looked.
--
fact check required

Hall-effect servo motors don't much care of they're holding position or changing position, but I dunno what the tech of these actuators really is, so I could just take your word for it.

Exactly.
And it can't be any good for the tranny, either, or even the engine mounts, or anything. I suppose Honda just assumes it's unpleasant and pointless enough you'll simply sell the car rather than do it until the drive train fails.
I just remember trying to follow someone in a BMW, which doesn't seem to have ANY of these problems at all. I felt like I was driving a clown car.
J.
On 08/04/2012 11:34 AM, JRStern wrote:

bmw is a great case in point. full "fly-by-wire, but zero perceptible throttle response lag time - every manufacturer could have this if they wanted - it's simply a software choice and that in turn is a function of how much you're paying.
it's the perfect m.b.a-style product differentiation for zero hardware cost [because software is essentially free]. and it's a manufacturer win, consumer lose - pretty much any way you care to slice it.
--
fact check required