Integra 91 A/C

Integra GS 1991 The A/C has worked well for 14 years but this spring it decided to retire. I don't agree and would like to have it run one more year.
Usually when I push the AC ON with the blower running, the r.p.m. goes a bit down, an indication that the clutch as engaged and the compressor is loading the engine. Now there is no change if I press the A/C ( the green light on the AC button comes ON) and the air temperature isn't cold. I have checked the compressor belt and it looks OK and it is running but I can't tell if the compressor is also running. I have 2 questions : 1 Where is the fuse for the compressor's clutch, if there is one ? 2 How can I tell if the compressor is running ?
Thanks for the help
Vlad

<x-posted to rec.autos.makers.honda, so the gurus there will see this>
1) The A/C fuses are: 12, 17, 20, 21, and 24. All of these are in the fuse box under the driver's kick panel. 2) There IS a clutch relay. If it fails, the clutch will not receive power.
Since most electrical problems in older cars result from bad wiring, bad grounds, and bad relays, start here:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/91-teg-ac-components.jpg
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/91-teg-ac-compressor-trouble-1.jpg
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/91-teg-ac-compressor-trouble-2.jpg
There are grounds all over the place, and they are common to many components. If you are not experiencing problems with other electrical accessories, your grounds are fine.
Also, have you checked your sight glass to make sure you've got sufficient refrigerant? The sight glass is immediately outboard of the compressor.
Good luck.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

You are the pillar of this group. So much that I kept my fingers crossed hopping that you would see my cry for help. Thank you Regards Vlad
Funny, my '91 Integra AC just died as well. I assumed it was out of coolant. I fear if I fill it up (if they still allow that refrigerant and it's not illegal &/or exorbitant) it won't last. Happened on my '83 Accord as well after about the same amount of time. Let us know what you find out and if you solve the problem. You are riding shotgun for me....Cheers

A friend of mine, gave up after replacing the compressor 3 times. I can't remember if it's an Accord or a Prelude. If the problem is the compressor ... by by Integra. The clutch is also giving bad vibes. I can't complain. It has been very reliable. I may get another Acura
My Integra only has 80.000 miles. I'll let you know what I find.
Regards
Vlad

Not illegal, but definitely exorbitant. IIRC R-12 is running around $50/lb and your system will need a couple pounds if it is so low that the clutch isn't engaging at all any more. You can also look into conversion to R-134a.
More's the shame that the manufacturing ban was based on bogus science. The definitive study that determined stratospheric ozone depletion was caused mainly by sunlight (the NASA/NOAA "POLARIS" mission in 1997 http://cloud1.arc.nasa.gov/polaris/polaris.ems.html ) came too late to stop the Montreal Protocol.
Mike
On Sat, 14 May 2005 07:55:21 -0700, "Michael Pardee"

I converted an old car to R134-a a year or two ago, and the cost was about $100 more than repair and refill of the R-12 system. I figured that after the next time that something went kerflooey it lost its coolant, I'd be ahead of the game. And I was. As I recall, the receiver/dryer and the fill/bleed connectors were the only parts that had to be replaced. Maybe some gaskets and seals. Then a flush and a refill with compressor oil and R-135a. I didn't need to replace the compressor but that may not be true in all cases. Currently, I think R-135a is $3 or $4 per pound.
--
Dan.

I can still remember having cars w/o a/c. Not gonna fix it! Besides, my daughter takes this one to college in the Fall. Adversity is a great learning tool. It's got the moonroof and all. There is the defog issue however..My Integra has about 135K.
do you know anyone lookin for a integra motor 92 low miliage please email me at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com