Integra 91 Brakes

A few months ago I reported that I have replaced the pads on my front brakes in order to correct a problem that exists in the brake cylinders. Rust I knew that wasn't the right solution but it was going to fix the problem for a few months. Little that I knew that was a very short term solution. The problem is back. Most likely the problem is the result of rust in the wheel cylinders. Question: Does it make sense to remove the cylinders and polish their interior or should I just replace the calipers, including the cylinders?

Thanks for the help

John

Reply to
John

John wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You have calipers and pistons. "Cylinders" are used in drum brakes, which you do not have.

I think I told you last the time that the pistons were rusty.

You cannot clean the pistons: the rust will be too deep, and too widespread. The caliper bores will be just fine.

You have a choice:

1) replace the calipers with aftermarket (OEM is no longer available) 2) rebuild the existing calipers with new OEM internal parts.
Reply to
Tegger

I have checked with the local parts supplier for the kit and was told that it is no longer available . After all the car is 20 years old. Cost about $70 for one caliper set excluding the pads that I do not need. I'll do the replacement when I must switch from my Winter tires. Next month .

Thanks Tegger

John

Reply to
John

John wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I don't think there ever was any "kit". Not from Honda, anyway. You buy the parts independently. And all the parts ARE still available.

Are you getting two calipers for that $70? If so, either they're really low quality or you're getting quite a deal. One /piston/ alone from Honda is $70.

Good luck. Just be /really/ clean about it. And if you use the pedal-push bleed method, do not allow the pedal to travel any further than it does in normal use.

You're welcome.

Reply to
Tegger