Integra brakelight problem

The other day,I noticed my 94 Integra's brake lights were stuck ON all the time,and I thought I needed to replace the brakelight switch on the brake
pedal.After trying to access the damn thing,I took it to the Acura dealer,and it turns out a plastic "cap" had disintegrated with heat and age(hot central Florida!) and was no longer pressing the switch button.
I had noticed the plastic bits n' pieces in the footwell and wondered where they had come from. The part cost $3.84,and labor brought the job to a total of $62.00. I had thought it was going to cost over $200 for a new switch and labor,I was pleasently surprised at the lower charge.
[Thx,Courtesy Acura in Sanford.]
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

button on the brake pedal arm that was supposed to push the switch. When the mushroom fell out it left a hole that neatly allowed the switch to stay on.
Mike

Maybe this is another item for Tegger to put on his excellent site. The part is called "pad,pedal stopper", p/n 46505-SA5-000
It's kinda scary that these small plastic parts on my car are degrading and crumbling.Especially that this one was an interior part,protected from the weather,except for the hot climate,and not in direct sunlight.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik