Integra stalling/hiccups

'98 Integra, 250K miles, auto
Did a head job about two months ago - new gaskets, valve job.
Ran fine after reassembly, but soon started to "hiccup" while driving, and
will even stall occasionally - usually when pulling away from a stop. Plugs look fine, all lines/hoses are connected where they belong. I found these two symptoms inthe garage when troubleshooting:
when I turn the ignition on, the "maint reqd" light blinks ten times, then goes out. Can someone tell what this means; neither of my books mentions the dash light blinking.
I used a timing light to check ignition while the engine was running. If I rev it up, the spark goes out when the engine is decelerating - don't think this is normal.
I'd like to post a computer trouble cod ehere - but I can't figure out how to retrieve them. My Haynes manual doesn't mention computer codes at all and the "computer codes" book I have doesn't seem to cover this model year.
I replaced the coil once before (6-7 years ago); do I maybe need another?
Frankie
Sorry for being stupid; I addee a few IQ opints after breakfast.
Found the code retrieval procedure, ran it. I don't have _any_ codes set on this thing. Reset the "Maint reqd" light - so it doesn't blink anymore
Which leaves the spark dropout on decel - any thoughts?

Does the spark pick up again as the engine settles closer to idle speed?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Yes, it does.
I know this is either a spark issue or a fuel issue; don't know how to check fuel delivery - any suggestions?
Is there a way to fault isolate coil vs. distributor vs. ECM? I'm willing to replace what's broken - rather not spend $$ to replace something that isn't.

Feel with your fingers for if the injectors are clicking as the engine cranks. Loosen the pulsation damper and see if fuel tries to leak past the threads.
But chances are excellent it's not the fuel.

Loss of spark on overrun is something I've never seen before.
Does your tach needle drop to zero when the spark disappears?
Does the Check Engine light come on for two seconds when the key is first turned to "II", then go off again and stay off?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Not familiar with the term - can you tell me where/what that is - and I'll check it?

Tach slows down with engine speed - does not drop to zero

Yes - two seconds on, then goes out

You're 100% certain it's the Maintenance Required light and not the Check Engine light?
If so, you're overdue for a maintenance service. See your Owner's Manual, available here: <https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/om/IT9898/IT9898MAINIDX.pdf Go straight to the Index, then to the "M" listings.

It is normal.

You need an OBD-II code reader.
There is a dumbed-down Check-Engine-light-flash method, but don't use that.

Who knows? Check for codes first. You may have an EGR code.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I'm thinking I may be wrong here.
FUEL is shut off on decel, but spark should not be.