Is this a fuel pump relay problem?

My 94 GS-R sat in the parking lot all day in the sun and it was about

90 in Chicago today. So the inside was pretty toasty when I got in. The engine fired right up and I shifted immediately into reverse. Before I could let out the clutch, it died suddenly. Cranked and cranked but wouldn't restart. Opened all the windows, sunroof, checked the fuses, took a call on my cell phone. Must have been opened up for 5 - 10 minutes when I tried it again. It cranked for about 5 seconds and suddenly started. Ran fine all the way home with the AC on.

Does this sound like a fuel pump relay? (Also called "main" relay?) I am thinking the car started with residual pressure and died as soon as the pressure dropped. The relay started working after it cooled down a little, but it took 5 seconds to pressurize the system before the engine started. Has anyone else had this experience?

If it is the relay, is it totally unreliable at this point or is it likely to keep working if it stays cool?

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Gordon McGrew wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

yes. I'm surprised you had time to even get it into reverse before it died.

"main relay". the relay on my 94 GSR failed like this 4-5 years ago,I resoldered it and have had no problems since. BTW,it fails more frequently over time. Also,resoldering it saves you $50 or more,and eliminates it as a trouble source.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

sounds like relay. don't monkey about - replace, or if you're cheap, resolder.

Reply to
jim beam

-------------------------

I think you've nailed it. Since you've never had trouble with it, it will last forever if you just resolder it. A new one will have the same flimsy solder on it that was on the original. Since we're talking about a '94, you got good life out of it already. :-)

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

------------------------------------

It's never totally unreliable, since you can always start a Honda that has a bad solder joint in the Main Relay by turning the key to position II, smack the dash on the left side of the steering wheel (North America), and listen to the fuel pump run for three seconds. Honda will start and vibration will usually keep the relay 'sparkin' to get you wherever you need to go.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Thanks Curly and all who replied.

I am waiting for an opportune time to pull it out and solder it up. I will probably go ahead and hit all the pins unless there is a reason not to. Worked fine today but it was cooler.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

best results come with de-soldering first. use a good quality higher wattage soldering tool. some of the terminals you need to solder are quite big pieces of copper and they'll suck the heat to the point of uselessness on the usual small stuff. i have a 60W hakko and it's about right.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:avadnQ96jsOMUhzbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

And use electrical solder,not plumbing solder. (rosin fluxed,not acid fluxed.)

Don't "flux" it up! 8-)

Reply to
Jim Yanik