Legend battery keeps dying, starter?generator? alternator?

My 89 Acura Legend always ran fine but nowadays, it keeps losing power. I removed the alarm system thinking that was the problem (draining battery) but it still happens.
I can start it sometimes and drive a bit, if I stop somewhere, it won't go back on.
Feels like a dead battery and so I took the new battery back to AutoZone and got it recharged but that only lasted a week. Now its dead again.
When it wont start, it feels like it wants to turn over but wont. Then, I turn the key and there is silence...like its the starter. But how can it be the starter when other times it does turn over?
I suspect that since I had a Remote Start that may have ruined the starter but not sure. Dont trust mechanics, who always manage to rip me off. HELP!
Thanks
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Try this when you have the car running again (need to do it in the evening). Start the car and turn on everything electrical, including turning on the high beams. Press on the accelerator and watch what happens - if the lights dim or the radio turns off for a brief moment etc, then most likely your alternator is going.
Sorry I can't think or know of any other checks for the other items.
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 14:27:12 -0400, "Ninja_Mantis"

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I've never worked on a Legend, but the following pretty much applies to all cars:
Make sure you clean your battery contacts. Also clean the contact from the battery negative to the frame. Clean both sides.
Get a cheap multimeter (radio shack, sears) and measure the voltage across the battery when the car is running. It should be around 14.5 Volts. Any less, and your alternator or charging system is at fault. Turn on your lights and AC - it should stay at 14.5 volts while running.
With the car off, the battery should be over 12V, also in the morning when the car has been sitting for a while. It it has dropped significantly, you may have something that bleeds your battery over night. There are ways to tell, so report back if that is the case.
If the voltage is ok, Check the fat wire between the battery and the starter. Disconnect both ends and clean both with an emery board or sandpaper - Be careful cleaning this starter wire - make sure the battery positive wire is off because that is a direct connection. While you are there, also clean off the thinner wire to the starter (goes to the ignition switch).
If occasionally the car still does not start, get a starter cable and tie one negative side to the battery and the other negative side to the beefiest exposed metal you can find of the engine. Just let the positive wire dangle - don't hook it up. If the car now starts, you have high resistance on your ground path somewhere. If so, you'll have to clean off or recrimp the ground contacts that go to the engine or frame.
When it doesn't start, check the voltage on the thinner wire to the starter. It should be 12V when the key is in the 'start' position. If it isn't, your ignition key may be bad.
If it still does not start and everything else is ok, take a hammer and a short piece of 2x4. Put the 2x4 on the starter and whack the other end of the 2x4 with the hammer. Sometimes someone has to turn the key while you are doing this. If it now starts, your starter is most likely the problem.
Hope you find it soon, Remco
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

In addition, measure the AC voltage across the battery with the engine running. This can be done with a digital voltmeter, but not analog meters (the needle and scale type). A reading over about 0.1 VAC is a strong indication of a bad alternator even if the DC reading is good.
Mike
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I had a similar problem. The switch inside the glovebox that controls the light in there failed and caused the light inside the glovebox to never turn off. My cheap fix was to remove the light bulb in there. Eventually, I'll replace the switch.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Motorsforum.com is a website by car enthusiasts for car enthusiasts. It is not affiliated with any of the car or spare part manufacturers or car dealers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.