Major Problems need help fast!!

Okay so here is what happened. I have a 97 Integra GS with 140k. Recently while driving down the road a pushed the gas to floor. The car not accelerating but just "bogging", if you will. Tried one more time but nothing. Made a horrible mistake but cutting off the car at home and now nothing. When I turn the ingnition it sounds as if the start is just spinning very fast, like no fire, but I pulled the distributor cap and the rotor button moves very slowly but makes rotations. I'm getting a feel of some compression when my hand is on the exhaust. And if I push the gas sometimes you can hear somewhat of a deep gurggle sound. I personally thought that it was timing. Then some say fuel, or starter or ignition. But I do not have the time or money to just start pulling and replacing parts. I need some advice please

Reply to
Smitty524

I recommend

for an overview. A couple things, though.

I fear the ignition coil was damaged when the engine was cranked with the cap off - that usually happens to Acuras if the spark has nowhere to go. There are details in that link. Don't beat yourself up about it - most of us learn the hard way :-( The coil will set you back the better part of $100 US aftermarket, but somebody recently found one on-line at

for about half that... so far, so good. **The important aspect of that is you may now have two problems; one known and one unknown. It will make troubleshooting more of a challenge. I hope the timing belt has already been changed back around the 100K mile mark. If not, the symptoms come too close to timing belt failure for comfort. It is quite possible for the belt to lose some teeth and jump without quitting altogether, and I wouldn't be surprised if that is what happened unless the belt was changed when it was due. If that is true, reports are that you may be lucky and have no other damage or you may be unlucky and have bent valves. If the belt is the original I recommend you determine whether the cam timing is still correct. If it is, the original problem wasn't the timing belt, but the belt still needs to be addressed.

Check back when you can tell us about the belt.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Keep in mind that a cranking engine only turns ~250 rpm and the rotor only turns at half that speed. That would be about 2 rotations per second.

Could be ignitor or coil - check for spark.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Gordon McGrew wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Possibly unrelated to our friend's original problem, but he may have damaged the coil by cranking without the HT side hooked up.

A helpful page that will enable such checks without monetary outlay:

TeGGeR®