navigation upgrade for '06 system

Hi,

I called Acura and was told the charge for an updated map is something like $200. Is the software specific for Acura, or can I go on-line to find it cheaper? If the later, what should I be searching for?

This is for an '06 TL.

Thanks!

Eddie g

Reply to
Eddie G

You will not find Navi upgrade DVDs anywhere but at the dealers, or through the manufacturer's web sites. I don't know why these things haven't been cracked and copied, but that's the story.

Yes, they are expensive. The best price I've seen for our TL Navi system is $185.00.

Reply to
Larry in AZ

Hi Eddie,

I have a 2004 TL and recently upgraded to the new DVD. I am not sure it was worth the cost of nearly $200. It is quite easy to install. Simply remove the old DVD and insert the new one. When you start the car, it reboots and you're all set. I couldn't really see any diffference, escept I suppose there are some updated roads.

I don't think you can get a DVD from anyone by Honda/Acura. They are available on the web site. I believe the navigation system is manufactured by Alpine for Honda.

- Russ in Santa Barbara

Reply to
RLL

Generally, you won't see much difference. The list of major updates to the various disk versions are available on some web sites. Probably not worth nearly $200 to get one or two new roads in your state listed.

Reply to
Larry in AZ

Makes the $75 upgrade disc for my Garmin seem pretty reasonable.

Reply to
BK

Perhaps, but your Garm>>

Reply to
Larry in AZ

Go to the Alpine/Acura web site here:

now they are on sale, at least for my 2005 TL. I just bought the update for $149 plus $6 shipping. They are out of stock right now but anticpate shipping by the end of January. $200 at the dealer is a definite rip-off.

"BK" wrote in news:0qMnj.1930$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe05.lga:

Reply to
akheel

None of which effect the information on the DVD - it's just maps with some metadata. I can't believe the Zagat guide costs that much, but maybe it does.

Reply to
Nick Cassimatis

Not sure where you got that number from. My '07 TL shows a price of $185 to upgrade (plus S&H). Perhaps the nav system is different, and that accounts for the difference.

From what I could see on the Acura/Alpine site, there's not much that they've updated, which is too bad because there are areas right by where I live that show no roads, but the roads have been there for like 6 or 7 years.

Tom S. Houston, TX

akheel wrote:

Reply to
Tom Simchak

Must only apply to certain years. $149 is definitely the price for the 05 TL. And it just came today, so I guess they got their stock sooner than they thought. On the 05 they also updated the POI and fixed the daylight savings problem caused by our gov't's genius move in changing the dates. With all of the reprograming required akin to the Y2K problem, that little move probably cost more that it saved.

Tom Simchak wrote in news:Rv1oj.9801$hI1.6692 @nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

Reply to
akheel

Whatever, it's still too damned much for what you get. After paying two grand for a Navi system, updates to the DVD shouldn't be more than a few dollars. $29.95 sounds about right.

The marketing approach is stupid. It's as if they want to discourage sales.

How many people buy them at $150-$200..? Not many, I'd bet. I won't - not for the minor changes they contain. If they dropped the price to something reasonable, the majority might, and the profit on them would be much greater.

Reply to
Larry in AZ

Aside from any issues of price for the upgrades, the need for one occasionally is more necessary in some parts of the country than other. In the Washington DC area, there have been so many changes to interchanges, new roads, etc. from development, that my 2005 Navi is getting a little long in the tooth for accuracy. Nothing like trying to follow the Navi to an address to find out that the exits, etc, it is telling you to take don't exist or have been so completely reorganized that you sail by and have to figure out by trial and error just how to get back on the route! Or have it tell you the address doesn't exist.

I plan to update during 2008 at some point.

And one last question? Has anyone actually tried to rip one of these discs and make a disc image? I never see them on the news server groups.

Paul

Reply to
Ramapo

Don't know about console navigations, but whenever I buy a new GPS (I have three so far) the maps are already about four years old. I wonder if the

2008 update is actually based on an older map. For me its cheaper and better to have a new GPS with the latest technology rather than updating the pricey maps and be stuck with a old GPS - so cheap now.

Reply to
Frank