OT: tire sizes

I know this is off topic but can I put on a 4 tire NEW set of

195/65/14 radial tires for my current worn-out set of 195/69/14?

Curious as I can get a very good price on the 195/65's

My car is a 1990 Integra LS.

Thanks.

Reply to
MrMusic

Probably won't hurt. But, since you'd be reducing the height of the tire and thus the diameter, the car would set a little lower (you might not noticed it) and the speedometer would read faster than your actual speed. The faster you go, the greater the error would be. Now decide if it's worth it.

DC

Reply to
DennyCrane

MrMusic wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A "69" section tire? Where on earth did you find that? You meant "60", didn't you?

The stock tires for that car are 195/60-14. If you install 65-section tires the speedometer will read about 3% to 5% slow.

65-section tires will be 3/8" taller. I'd be concerned about contact with the rear of the wheel well, especially when the suspension is compressed. When the tire is turned all the way to one side, it's awfully close to the fender as it is.

Also your acceleration will be just a bit slower, since the tires would be bigger.

If I were you I'd just buy the correct tires.

Reply to
Tegger

Ooops typo shoud be "60" Sorry about that!

Based on all the replies I will stick with the "60's".

Thanks for the comments.

Reply to
MrMusic