Problem with heater/AC fan switch on 94 Integra

The heater lever on my 94 Integra no longer works in the 1 or 2 position. 3 and 4 work like they always have.
I assume there are disconnected wires or broken solder joints. I can
probably fix it myself but my Haynes manual has nothing specific about getting to the electrical side of this switch.
It looks like I may have to pull out the stereo, but what else? Or am I way off base in my preliminary diagnostic?
Josh
snipped-for-privacy@nonexistant.com wrote in news:1lllr25o9pa3gphmst0idfek30ml3brubh@ 4ax.com:

You mean the fan only blows on the highest speeds?
If so, then it's the heater blower resistor, behind the glove box. Part is about $40. Easy to replace once the glove box is removed.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Thank you for keeping me from going the wrong direction, Tegger. I knew if anyone had the answer it would be you.
Now, is this a part my local Pep Boys or Auto Zone would have? Heck, would Radio Shack have it?
Josh
snipped-for-privacy@nonexistant.com wrote in

Radio Shack?? They don't have anything in the way of vehicle-specific automotive parts. I'd check Advance Auto Parts online first,then Autozone.
In fact,I couldn't even buy a new PC uProcessor cooling fan from RS;they only stocked complete fan/heat sink assemblies.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

When I saw that it was a resistor that I needed I started thinking about RS.

More like a resistor assembly.
Mike
snipped-for-privacy@nonexistant.com wrote in

Dealer only.
It's not like a resistor you'd solder to a breadboard. This thing is big. It has a plastic plate, an electrical connector, and three or four coils of resistor wire of various thicknesses.
The reason the reistor fails is the smaller coils corrode and break. If you are handy and have the sources of supply, you can simply replace the corroded coils with your own resistor wire.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I just got the part yesterday and installed it today. Everything works fine now. Thanks, Tegger, Jim, and Michael!
snipped-for-privacy@nonexistant.com wrote in

Two thumbs up!
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
MY 91 INTEGRA HAS THE SAME PROBLEM with the heater/AC fan! its not turning on 1 or 2 but on 3 and 4, which is really annoying
ive read the thread but im so confused now...so is it just a PART that needs replacing or something about coils....?!
and JOSH, where did you get the part?!
"josh" wrote: > The heater lever on my 94 Integra no longer works in the 1 or > 2 > position. 3 and 4 work like they always have. > > I assume there are disconnected wires or broken solder joints. > I can > probably fix it myself but my Haynes manual has nothing > specific about > getting to the electrical side of this switch. > > It looks like I may have to pull out the stereo, but what > else? Or am > I way off base in my preliminary diagnostic? > > Josh

It's the heater blower resistor. The smallest two coils corrode and break.
It's about $40 for the part and is easy to install. Remove the glove box and it's right there, held by two screws.

Dealer only.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
hopefully i can find the part SOMEWHERE I tried advanced auto parts but its only for US i guess my best bet is the junk yard
thanks a lot again Tegger
"Tegger" wrote:
> > > MY 91 INTEGRA HAS THE SAME PROBLEM with the heater/AC fan! > > its not turning on 1 or 2 but on 3 and 4, which is really > annoying > > > > ive read the thread but im so confused now...so is it just a > PART that > > needs replacing or something about coils....?! > > > > It's the heater blower resistor. The smallest two coils > corrode and break. > > It's about $40 for the part and is easy to install. Remove the > glove box > and it's right there, held by two screws. > > > > > > and JOSH, where did you get the part?! > > > Dealer only. > > > > > -- > Tegger > > The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ > www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

Don't install a used resistor pack; that would be a poor decision. It will be close to failure already and you will just need to go back in and change it again soon.
Spend the $40 for a new one and "set it and forget it".
These are dealer-only.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
thanks a lot tegger, got the part from the dealership today and fixed it the coils snapped on the old resistor, that was the problem well anyway, thanks a lot
"Tegger" wrote:
> > > MY 91 INTEGRA HAS THE SAME PROBLEM with the heater/AC fan! > > its not turning on 1 or 2 but on 3 and 4, which is really > annoying > > > > ive read the thread but im so confused now...so is it just a > PART that > > needs replacing or something about coils....?! > > > > It's the heater blower resistor. The smallest two coils > corrode and break. > > It's about $40 for the part and is easy to install. Remove the > glove box > and it's right there, held by two screws. > > > > > > and JOSH, where did you get the part?! > > > Dealer only. > > > > > -- > Tegger > > The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ > www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

You're welcome.
And thanks for the feedback. Not everybody bothers to give final updates.