Question ignition KEY in 1990 Integra LS

This afternoon, I found out I could remove my key while my teg was still running. This was not happening yesterday and the key is not broken. If I put the key in about 1/16 inch and turn the ignition switch to the normal OFF position, the engine stops. Ideas? Thanx

Reply to
MrMusic

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

The lock cylinder may be worn out. If you replace it,you will get different keys,and a mis-match between doors and ignition.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns96CFD72F2DE2jyanikkuanet@129.250.170.83:

Keys wear before the cylinder. Best to try a new key first (but NOT a new one made from the old blank!!).

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Howdy. I don't have a NEW key. If I try to put my key all the way in the ignition it does not go in smoothly and difficult to remove. I can now start my car with a flat headed screwdriver. Can a ACURA dealer cut me a new key? Thanks. d2c

Reply to
MrMusic

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Probably. If you still have the original key, is there a 4-digit number visible on the shaft? Give that to the dealer and they ought to be able to get a new one.

You'll very likely need to show up in person, with your ownership for the vehicle.

A note to everyone else: NEVER use your original keys unless you have no choice. Get a copy made of that, and use the copy as your daily key. This way when it wears out, getting a new one made is easy.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Yes, there is. So its off to the dealer to see what he can do. If I attempt to put in my current Keys in, they go in very hard and they are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to pull out.

Thanks for the heads up viz KEY original. I will keep one in a safe place once I am got this fixed.

Reply to
MrMusic

"TeGGeR®" wrote in news:Xns96D0B61C8F08Btegger@207.14.113.17:

If he can start his car *without the key in the ignition*,it's not a "worn key",it's a worn lock cylinder.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You might want to dribble a few drops of 3-in-1 oil on your new key and work it in and out a few times in an attempt to lubricate the plungers.

Actually, I see you're in Canada. Even better. Go to Canadian Tire, and get a spray can of Rust Check ($7). Shoot some of that directly into the lock, then work your new key in and out a few times. Rust Check is wonderful stuff for lock lubrication. It does get a bit stiff at 40-below, though.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Can that be fixed or must I order a new lock cylinder? Thanks.

Reply to
MrMusic

snipped-for-privacy@nospam.org wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

A locksmith can fix it for you IF you have a NEW key.

Reply to
TeGGeR®