Question ignition KEY in 1990 Integra LS

This afternoon, I found out I could remove my key while my teg was still running. This was not happening yesterday and the key is not broken. If I put the key in about 1/16 inch and turn the ignition
switch to the normal OFF position, the engine stops. Ideas? Thanx
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.org wrote in

The lock cylinder may be worn out. If you replace it,you will get different keys,and a mis-match between doors and ignition.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Keys wear before the cylinder. Best to try a new key first (but NOT a new one made from the old blank!!).
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Howdy. I don't have a NEW key. If I try to put my key all the way in the ignition it does not go in smoothly and difficult to remove. I can now start my car with a flat headed screwdriver. Can a ACURA dealer cut me a new key? Thanks. d2c
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.org wrote in wrote:

Probably. If you still have the original key, is there a 4-digit number visible on the shaft? Give that to the dealer and they ought to be able to get a new one.
You'll very likely need to show up in person, with your ownership for the vehicle.
A note to everyone else: NEVER use your original keys unless you have no choice. Get a copy made of that, and use the copy as your daily key. This way when it wears out, getting a new one made is easy.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Yes, there is. So its off to the dealer to see what he can do. If I attempt to put in my current Keys in, they go in very hard and they are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to pull out.
Thanks for the heads up viz KEY original. I will keep one in a safe place once I am got this fixed.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.org wrote in wrote:

You might want to dribble a few drops of 3-in-1 oil on your new key and work it in and out a few times in an attempt to lubricate the plungers.
Actually, I see you're in Canada. Even better. Go to Canadian Tire, and get a spray can of Rust Check ($7). Shoot some of that directly into the lock, then work your new key in and out a few times. Rust Check is wonderful stuff for lock lubrication. It does get a bit stiff at 40-below, though.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

If he can start his car *without the key in the ignition*,it's not a "worn key",it's a worn lock cylinder.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Can that be fixed or must I order a new lock cylinder? Thanks.
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.org wrote in

A locksmith can fix it for you IF you have a NEW key.