Replacement Tires for 2004 TL

My 2004 TL is nearing the need for replacement tires, even though Acura replaced the original Turanzas at about 5000 miles; the car has about 19,000
miles currently. Those Bridgestone Turanzas are just terrible tires.
I would be grateful for any suggestions on replacement tires. All my other cars have Michelins. They include my beloved 1997 Acura NSX, my wife's PT Cruiser, and our dog's Nissan Pathfinder (we keep it to transport him). I have had good luck with Michelins. Unfortunately, there are so many types of Michelins, I have to go to Tire Rack just to do a comparison.
We live in Santa Barbara, CA where the weather is mild year round, so winter driving is not a concern.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
- Russ
I used to be a Michelin person until I purchased their popular Pilot and was very dissatisfied. I asked around and discovered Yokohama tires. These are by far the best I've ever had.
The model is Yokohama V4S, purchased three years ago. These are high performance touring tires (speed rating "V") that are extremely comfortable and quiet (better than Michelin). They really stick to the road, are excellent in the rain and the best feature is that they don't wear out (treadwear rating "500").
What else can you ask for ?
According to Tire Rack, the Yokohama Avid V4S tires are not available in the correct size for the TL -- 235VR45R17. What size are you using on your car?
- Russ
On 04/19/2006 6:16 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com,

Whitey wrote:

I have the "H4S" version of that Yokohama on my 2003 Accord V-6 and like them very much. Vastly better wet traction than the Michelin tires which came on the Accord from the factory.
I would not hesitate to put the V4S tires on a TL, and will probably use them on my new TSX when it is due.
John
Russell Lombardo wrote:

You're right, those Turanzas are simply awful. Here's my opinion:
Get either Michelin Pilot Sport A/S or Pirelli PZero Nero M&S. I've had both and they are both great tires.
Russell Lombardo wrote:

them are pretty good about road testing tires and have first hand experience. I've received good information from Wes (X 648) about which tires would best meet my needs. Usually, the top rated tires in their categories are good choices. For the TL you may want to look at the survey results for Ultra High Performance tires.

(which I would guess came on your car) are quite high and were quite comparable to a Michelin equivalent. For my part, I have had mixed results with both Michelin and Bridgestone. The RE92s that came on my Prelude had lousy dry and wet traction with indifferent handling whereas the RE 750 was a delight and the exact opposite. Since I just traded my Prelude on an Accord coupe, I will be interested to see how the Turanza OEMs work out on the Accord.

tww wrote:

If they're anything like the ones that came on the '04 TL's, they'll suck. Make sure that you're looking at the tires that came on the Acura TL's when you're looking on the Tire Rack. These are truly terrible tires -- and I honestly don't say that very often. They're bad in the snow and rain and not very good on dry pavement either. Add that to the fact that they wear out very fast, and they simply suck.

came on the Acura in 04, which may have been different since it was two years ago.
It doesn't come with Turanza LS V, but EL-42's. And yes, they suck. I replaced mine at 14,000 w/ slightly wider Toyo Proxes 4's (245/45/17). The extra width helps protect the rims from curb rash,and I believe, looks better (the 235/45/17's almost look too narrow for the rim).
tww wrote:

There are numerous threads on the 3rd-gen TL and Turanza EL-42 issue -- go to http://www.acurazine.com , register, select "Third generation TL", then select "Tires".
On our 2005 anthracite TL, we got a full set of replacement tires at 17K under warranty, including mounting and 4-wheel alignment. (Search for my username, check the date on-or-about Jan 09 2006.) There have been several official service bulletins, but I think we got by with a "courtesy" service from our dealer.
Our replacements for the EL-42s were the Michelin Pilots, which list at about 225 each. If you have to pay out of pocket, the tirerack.com website shows the Avon Tech and Pirelli PZero-Nero M+S as the two highest rated UHPAS, or "ultra-high performance all season" ... these were $110 and $138 in stock size back in January. (If you're going out of pocket consider getting the slightly wider size, the 245/45-17s, for extra rubber contact. As Dan says, above. :)
But first, dig up the latest service bulletin(s) from Acura (at acurazine.com) and see if you're eligible for some discount. The EL-42s never should have been on the TL in the first place -- see the comments at tirerack about this particular tire.