rotor warpage

I have a 2003 tl-s, a great car, IMO. However, I was told that braking when going fast was why my front rotors were warped. Is this common with high speed braking? Is there a product to prevent this? I'm looking for a solution that does not necessarily require me to drive slower...

Reply to
krhine

"krhine" wrote in news:YbsAh.1821$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Wow, an honest Service Advisor... Did you deck him?

Yes.

However, see here:

's quite a lot more to "warpage" than meets the eye.

Assuming the above Babcox article didn't help, heavier discs with a lot more heat-sink area. Some recommend Brembo discs, pads and calipers, but I've never tried them.

How fast are you going, anyway? Are you spiking the brakes coming off the Mulsanne straight or somewthing?

Reply to
Tegger

Dang, tegger... Wish there was a symbol for "eyes glasing over" from the article. LOL

I had the dealer resurface the rotors--their recommended fix (plus a recommendation to drive slower...) Gosh, I wasn't going that fast... Hwy

55 in Idaho, pretty windy through mountains, passing cars (only when I had a clear line of sight), only going about 110 max when passing, and really not braking that hard. Odd thing was the shake in steering wheel when braking was only occassional, less frequent after slowing down for a while, which perhaps gives some credibility to the warpage being from high speed (or maybe only being detectable at higher speeds). I am toying with the idea of heavier brakes shortly, maybe like those sold via comptech (plus supercharger for when the warranty gives out).
Reply to
krhine

I replaced the problematic front rotors on our 2003 Accord V-6 with new Brembo rotors about 30,000 miles ago and the new ones are still stopping wonderfully.

There are a hundred and one reasons why rotors can "warp". Tegger's posted article is an excellent one. IMO some rotors are poorly made at the factory and become warp/thickness variation prone.

Fortunately I'm equipped to do my own repairs, so swapping on a new set of rotors is no big deal for me.

John

Reply to
John Horner

Reply to