RSX Type-S horrid brake noise one time

I goofed while typing this so if there is a double post (one being blank) I'm sorry.

I purchased a 2003 RSX Type-S from my brother-in-law just a couple of months ago. It gets well taken care of and treated nicely on almost all occasions. (No drop clutching ever)

The other day I was going about 75 mph and got on the brakes harder than normal. I wasn't standing on the brakes, but it was a moderately abrupt stop. The entire way only on that stop, the brakes made a horrid grinding type of noise and vibration. I have 215/40/ZR17 tires on and I honestly pulled over because it acted just like one of them shredded apart! I pulled over to look and all was well. It's been stopping fine before and after.

Any ideas on what it was and if I should be concerned yet?

Tony

Reply to
self-imprisoned

Do you know what ABS feels like when it kicks in? If not, then that may be what it was. Try finding a safe place where there's bit of wet road or where there's some gravel, and hit the brakes hard at 20 mph or so. Was that the same thing you felt?

Reply to
Dean Dark

Dean Dark wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

An easy, safe way to trigger the ABS: Find a back road with a gravel shoulder and no traffic. Run your *right wheels only* off onto the shoulder at about 25mph, then press the brakes moderately hard. Since the right wheels will lose traction faster than the left, the ABS should kick in almost immediately. Brake harder and harder until they do.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Have you checked the brake linings yet? Nearly all brake shops will do it free in hope of getting business. The loud grinding makes me think one lining may be paper thin and the hard braking pushed the metal backing against the disk.

If that is the case, you can be sure a brake shop will want to replace the disk, even though the contact was probably on the very outer edge of the disk. In those cases, I always just put pads in unless there are other reasons to replace the disk or if it is cheap and easy. However, if the metal contact scarred the main face (inner or outer) of the disk, replacement is necessary.

If you are up to the DIY, be sure to follow the recommendations in

or
depending on whether your brakes show signs of rust. Failure to follow the clean/lube directions means trouble too soon down the road. Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

LOL, welcome to ABS

Reply to