S2000 a $34K car ????

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 23:50:45 GMT, Larry in AZ

I have a chilton manual that I bought for my '74 Civic. It covers the Civic and the 600s. The drive shaft of the engine drives the transmission shaft via two(?) internal chains. (I am going on memory but this is obviously a feature I noted.)

I think it's a bargain when you can spend over 30K for a Hyundai. I know of cases where new S2000's have sold for under 30k. I purchased my 05 with 8k miles from a local Honda dealership certified with a free extended warranty up to 7 years and 100,000 miles on the power train from the date of the original sale. I had over a year remaining on the original 3 year warranty and that was bumped to two years as part of the certification process. The car is sheer joy to drive and feels like it has a turbo when you get into the Vtech range between 6 and 8k. Top speed for this "4 wheel superbike" is around 150 mph. The biggest challange is to keep it under the police radar. Gas milage for me in the past 2000 miles is 23 around town and 32.5 highway. Zero to 60 is in the 5 sec. range. I'm told it has the most powerful engine (non-turbo) for it's size in the world (2.2 liter). I came close to purchasing an RX-8 with milage in the mid teens. My local Mazda Dealer told me of all the engine flooding problems, the $50 spark plugs x4, and all the engine replacements for all sorts of reasons. Lastly, many dealers will not let you test drive an S2000 for fear that you will accidently select the wrong gear and damage the engine by severly over reveing it. I have done that a few times but I was way under redline so no harm done. I am getting much better. The 2.2 liter does not need to be downshifted to pass cars on the highway. I am so impressed with this little roadster. And, I don't believe Honda makes money on this car!
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.acura / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html

If a dealer will not let me test drive a car,I will not buy anything from them,and go to another dealer.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

So... how much did you pay?
I would love to buy one of them.
First, my previous comment of getting one for under $30k new may be BS. Apperently someone on another web site claimed he could but was never able to back it up with any documentation. How much did I pay? Oh well, I paid the dealer $1,000 less than he wanted, and yet still paid $1,000 more than I wanted (paid $26,995). There were two other people wanting to look at the car. It had no dings or dents......and looked as if it had never been driven....and that was before it was detailed. In 05, the total factory warranty was 3 years, 36k. Buying it from a dealer gave me peace of mind with Honda's Certified 7 year (5 years left) 100,000 mile power train warranty and 2 years or 40,000 miles left on everything else. The car was manufactured in Japan in June 05 and sold in Aug of 05. It was less than 2 years old and it was the last year with the real throttle cable. Some of the 06's are having hesitation problems with their DBW. For some very interesting and detailed comments on the S2000, go to www.s2ki.com; cheers.
-- Message posted using http://www.talkaboutautos.com/group/alt.autos.acura / More information at http://www.talkaboutautos.com/faq.html
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 12:31:07 -0400, "duckbill"

Thanks for the info. I think 2005 was the last year for the 9000rpm 2 liter engine which is a plus in my mind as well. Enjoy your S2000.
Gordon McGrew wrote:

8500. I had one, but don't recall the red line.
Tom S. Houston, TX
Starting in 04, Honda incresed the diplacement about 10 percent which helped improve low end torque and power which I like. Redline is now 8K, (versus 9K with the older models). It has an 8.2K cut out. Peak horsepower remained the same overall. I'm told people used to pay way over list for the S when it first came out, no more of course. It has gotten me off my motorcycle....with the top down I get the same enjoyment, but know I'm a lot safer. Side impact without airbags is 5 star. Honda did it right...lots of the S crowd want more Horsepower, etc. Me. I'm very satisfied as is.