shifting too soon in Type-S deadly?

Page 1 of 2
Hello All,
Tried looking to see if this question was every asked before but couldn't find an answer, so I'll ask it now.
A friend of mine (and self-proclaimed manual-speed know it all)
constantly criticizes my shifting habits telling me I'm killing my transmission...which I find dubious since my old car (94 Probe GT) is still on original clutch with over 160K and never had a speck of transmission problems throughout its still-continuing life.
Have an '06 Type S with approx. 25K on it. Love it...and so much so, I try not to "beat on" the engine (wish I had another Type S so I could really put it through its paces). To do this I don't push the engine all that much when I shift, and therefore often skip gears proceeding through to 6th. Sometimes I'll shift 1 to 3 to 5 to 6. Other times from a stop sign (if slightly rolling through it...shhh, don't tell any one) I'll go 2 to 4 to 6 sometimes. I'll occasionally downshift to slow car down (mixed with braking), and usually coast into turns adjusting shift afterwards for putting less torque-stress on the engine as well.
In general I'll also try and always cruise in 6th even at 30 to 35 mph...as long there's nowhere near the too -low-rpm -sputtering that would make the engine die. Rarely do my RPM ever exceed 5000! Occasionaly but not all that much.
According to my friend, I'm ruining the transmission by not following the when-to-shift speeds according to the manual. I'm having a hard time agreeing with him.
Is he correct? Or are my conservative shifting habits guaranteeing my beloved Type-S's transmission a slow death?
Appreciate your thoughts on the matter.
Bob
You sure are NOT helping your car any......there is a reason for all those gears.

Yeah, power and acceleration. Has nothing to do with tranny life.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Skipping gears does wear the synchros more.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Sure does. Even Honda said so in a recent issue of Honda Service News.
Earlier I meant to say that the number of gears has to do with power and acceleration, not tranny life.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Someone should pass this vital information to GM, whose Corvette comes standard with a device that FORCES the driver to shift from 1st to 4th under slow acceleration situations.
Skipping gears when accelerating slowly and done smoothly can't be that harmful. Just about everyone I know who has a 5 or 6 speed skips gears on a routine basis.
If you pay attention to your car, it generally lets you know when you are doing something it doesn't like. If the shift quality while skipping gears is worse than when not skipping gears, stop skipping gears.
On the other hand, what's the point of buying a Type S is you're afraid to run up the RPM? I could purchase a device to defeat that 1st to 4th shift feature but it never interferes with the way I drive my 'Vette, if you get my drift. So long as the engine is well maintained (esp. clean oil) running it up to red line (once it's fully warmed up) is not going to hurt the engine one little bit. You will find the shift quality gets better as you let that engine breathe. Replace those crappy OEM tires and stand on it!
Or trade it in for a Prius. No worries about skipping gears.

Have you considered that GM might have explicitly designed the transmission to survive that? Honda did not.

The Honda Service News issue I mentioned warns mechanics to check for skip-shifting if a car comes in with shifting problems.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I believe that the GM forced shift of which you speak is done only when the engine is below operating temperature, and is a trick to get it past emissions regulations under such conditions.
Whether or not the transmission is designed to handle it is kind of moot. IMHFO anyone who 'gets on' an engine and transmission before its oil is up to operating temperature deserves all he/she gets.
--
Dan.

Nope, it is not temperature dependent.

The Corvette prevents this, as do other high performance cars.

OK, I see now that it's not temperature dependent. But it *is* done for emissions purposes. And there's a straightforward chip mod. to defeat it.

Only up to a point. I can still abuse a cold engine.
--
Dan.

The point being that GM designed the Corvette to skip gears under light throttle. No trans. damage. And the 1st to 4th feature doesn't interfere with routine driving.

Fine. Maybe the OP can figure out your point. If you are implying that you need heavy throttle to defeat the Corvette's 1st to 4th skip shift feature you are incorrect. You don't actually own a Corvette, do you?

So you think that GM though that a *design* that would force people to skip gears would be a neat feature that Corvette drivers would *really* like? Hmmmm...
In fact, it's a kludge they had to make late in the game to meet regulations. They don't put it that way in the glossy brochure of course, they spin it to look like a brilliant design feature that they intended all along. And you believed them...

I never said I owned a Corvette. They're OK but they're not my cup of tea.
What I actually said, if you read for comprehension, is that there's an aftermarket chip mod. to defeat the forced shift. It's simple and inexpensive, and all self-respecting Corvette owners have installed it.
--
Dan.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said.
What I said was the skip shift feature does not harm the Corvette transmission. Nothing more. How you care to spin this, well, who knows... But thanks for the insight re. the skip shift. And it's to avoid the gas guzzler tax, which is not exactly the same as meeting regulations.

Sure, they have. You spend quite a bit of time reading catalogs, don't you?
Yes, I admit, I almost bought the aftermarket part when I first got the 'Vette but after a short while I discovered that it really wasn't necessary. However, if I drove it in urban traffic (lots of slow acceleration) then I'd install it. Happily, that's not my situation.

Not catalogs, good quality automotive magazines. Unlike you, the car maker's glossy brochures and the gee-whiz Chevy bling and hot rod magazines do nothing for me.
--
Dan.

As I recall (from reading those same good quality automotive magazines)...
Back in the '80s, the Corvette's forced "skip shift" was originally designed to help GM meet CAFE requirements, not EPA mandates. GM implemented the skip shift for the first time around 1985.
Maybe it's done for emissions now, but wasn't at the beginning.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Whatever reason it's done for then and now, it sure as hell isn't because the customers demand it.
--
Dan.

That I believe!!!
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

But Corvette customers did demand a transmission that wouldn't break if you skip shifted it. Maybe Honda customers should do the same.

I don't understand why Corvette customers are happy to drive a car that *forces* them to skip gears, regardless of whether they "demanded a transmission that is up to it" or not. It all smells like a kludge and marketing bullshit/spin to me.
I can't imagine the upmarket performance car makers doing it, or their buyers tolerating it.
--
Dan.

I can't see that there's any demand for "skip-shifting" durability.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik