should I use synthetic oil?

I have an '04 TL with about 94k miles. My service station said that if I go 5-6k miles between oil changes (by following the car's oil use monitor) I should use synthetic oil.

What are your thoughts on this??

Thanks!!

Reply to
Jim Crugnale

Jim Crugnale wrote in news:0f7c9cfc-d9af-4a0c-a5be- snipped-for-privacy@32g2000yqz.googlegroups.com:

Take a look under the hood of your car. Somewhere -- on the air cleaner box, underhood sticker, etc. -- there will be a mention of the factory's specified motor oil.

What does it say?

And do you still have your Owner's Manual?

Reply to
Tegger

Yes I have the owners manual - didn't know if having 94k on a 7 y/o car made a difference, assuming the factory's specified oil is standard oil.

Reply to
Jim Crugnale

Jim Crugnale wrote in news:6e596bbf-55e4-416c-bef0- snipped-for-privacy@p1g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

It makes no difference at all. You can keep using the specified oil with the change interval your monitor says to use. 94K miles is nothing for a properly-maintained modern engine.

If you wish to use synthetic, that's a /definite/ bonus, but it's not absolutely needed.

Reply to
Tegger

If you can afford the upgrade go for it.

Reply to
Airport Shuttle