Sound dampening can cause rust?

Hi all

Got some Dynamat to sound proof both my doors on my RSX. Last weekend, I did the driver's door, both the outside door panel and the inside panel. I dynamat approx. 3/4 of the door's outside panel; I avoided the lowest 5 inch of the inside panel because I wanted to keep the drainage holes clear. Because I live in the rust belt of Ontario, I also applied some rust proofing in the inside of the door while I was at it...

So far so good. However, I was thinking, is it possible that such a material could *increase* the probability of rust in the inside panel or in the doors? I mean, have you had any *direct* experience with doors rusting out because of moisture that was kept inside the door panel due to sound dampening material? Perhaps an air pocket or rain water could seep between the dynamat and cause the door to rust. BTW my car is a daily driver.

Hence the question: any experience with rust caused by sound dampening material?

Thanks a million.

Reply to
Frank

In my experience Dynamat is pretty tacky and when properly applied wont create any air pockets for this to happen. I think the rust proofing you applied is your best defense. nothing lasts forever and the dynamat is worth it.

Reply to
SniffinPopRocks

Dynamat is applied with a heat gun so to remove all moisture as well as make it plyable, once in rust will apear where it was going to appear before the matting, go for it the stuffs great. Umm ,no, doesnt speed up the rust process unless yoru trappign excess water in there with a poor install.

Reply to
Scotty

I think the only issue is how much moisture was present when the coating was applied. That alone won't even cause trouble if the barrier is complete and doesn't allow oxygen through... but if the barrier ever becomes flawed... and there is trapped moisture... then that could be a problem.

Professor

Professor