SPEAKERS

Hey, I have a 91 Integra LS and I think i blew my rear speakers, they crack really bad. I don't have the cash to buy new ones right now, Can someone help me out with step by step intructions on how to disconnect them so i don't have to hear the ANNOYING cracking. Keep in mind, i have some speaker knowledge but not much but i'm not a complete idiot i know how to use tools.

thanks alot

tegchic

Reply to
Tegchic91

That's entirely possible. I used to hear what sounded like gravel hitting the door while I drove along listening to a specific CD in my

94 LS. I'd turn the radio down, trying to isolate the sound, and wouldn't hear anything. It happened with a specific CD that had a song on it with more bass energy than normal.

Anyway, I took the door panels off to inspect the speakers, and the cones were ripped all the way around the perimeter of the speaker. I replaced them with some decent speakers, and the stereo immediately sounded much better, with no gravelly rattling noise.

The best solution for eliminating the noise without paying for new speakers is to turn the radio off. Running it without speakers will probably screw it up.

Reply to
kellyschrock

You can get a pair of 6" speakers to replace them for $20. Certainly not top of the line, but similar to the originals and for my '91 teg, good enough. The connectors aren't an exact match, but some crimping seems to have made the connection secure without resorting to cutting wires.

As the other respondent said, my speakers were also deteriorating so that the cones were barely connected at the edges. The bigger problem that I'm having is with the wiring behind the radio. If I move the wire that connects the CD player unit to the radio unit the right side will cut in and out. My stereo is slightly newer as the original was stolen in '94.

As to step by step instructions that depends on whether you have the hatchback or not. For my hatchback 3 screws hold the covers and then 3 more screws come out from above to pull the speaker out. Easy.

Also you can adjust the fader control on the radio if you simply don't want any sound from them.

--Art

Reply to
Art M