Speedo-guages disassembly - Help

'98 3.2TL, 66K...

Speedometer needle freezes at 48 MPH on the way up, then functions normally, below that. Odometer still right on. Eventually, the whole unit dies.

I have removed the 2 screws above the face of the instrument panel. I also discovered that the whole insert, including the left and center air duct registers pops out... EXCEPT the bottom of the instrument panel. I can't find the trick to getting this last sticking point to come out. No obvious screws, tabs, etc. Since I haven't ruined anything, yet, I thought I'd ask for help, before proceeding.

Has anyone disassembled this unit, or does anyone know what the missing link is? I'm disgusted that such a nice car busts a speedometer at 66K carefully driven and babied miles. The Acura agency talks about it like it's an antique, and didn't seem to even know if it has a speedometer cable, a brain, or both. They just say: "Bring it in." Yeah, right.

Any related info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reply to
uncle k