Starting problem with '91 Integra

A couple of times in the past couple of months when I try to start my '91 Integra it turns over without seeming to fire at all. This can go on for
many tries and then it starts right up without bogging... Normally it starts right up without any trouble.
The other day I was on the highway with the cruise control set and the tach would suddenly die and then come back it even knocked off the cruise control. I then tried driving without the cruise control and it did the same thing a couple of times and then drove fine for the next 2 hours home.
Any ideas on what (electrical?) part to test.
Thanks
--Art

Igniter is dying.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Here's an easy test: next time the car cranks and won't fire, watch the tach needle while cranking. If the needle jiggles a tiny bit, the igniter is OK. If the needle remains perfectly still, the igniter has died.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Thanks Jim and Tegger. I was already reading about the Main Relay. Maybe I should just go ahead with that one, even though I'm kind of a shoddy solderer. Info even on that at the link from Tegger's site http://techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelay.html
I have a cheap soldering iron with a point. Is a chisel preferred for this kind of circuit board work?
The igniter isn't cheap. Tegger, the diagnostics on this on your site seem complicated. Should I just buy a new one or is it likely I'll continue to have minor problems where I can pay more attention to the tach needle as you suggested? I'd like not to get stranded on the highway as I don't own a cell phone.
--Art

It is when you get one from the wreckers. If it costs you more than ten bucks I'd be surprised.

Unless you want to conduct the tests the page shows, the only easy way of making sure it's the igniter is to watch the tach as you crank.
Resoldering your Main Relay will do you no good at all. That's not your problem. Having said that though, if I were you I'd go to the wreckers and get a Main Relay there for $5.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

a chisel would be -better-,but if your iron is 25 watts or more,then a conical tip should work,too. you want to use rosin core solder,not plumbing solder(acid core).

IMO,a flaky igniter is a major failure problem,not something to be considered "minor".
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

see www.tegger.com; "main relay" and "igniter". It may be two unrelated problems.