Steering Column Won't Adjust

I have a 1999 Acura RL and my tilt and telescoping steering wheel will not adjust. The sensor assembly test ok as does the switch. The telescope motor turns but the steering wheel doesn't move and the tilt motor doesn't even turn.

On the Honda Estore the motors are not available separately so it appears I need to replace the entire column. I usually do my own basic maintenance (ie oil, brakes, hoses, plugs, etc.) so how hard is it to replace a steering column? Is this one of those repairs better left to a trained mechanic?

Reply to
Patrick

"Patrick" wrote in news:ZMJkg.24926$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

Have you simply tried asking your local dealer's parts department if the motors are available separately?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

The motors are not available separately. My next step is to take the motors off and see if there is anything obvious that can be fixed or if I can get the part from a junkyard. It will be a lot easier to swap out the motors than the entire column. Although I will probably still have to buy the entire column from a junkyard too.

I'll post what I find.

Reply to
Patrick

"Patrick" wrote in news:5x_lg.101263$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

This PDF is from the '02-'03 RSX, but it may give you some idea what you're in for. Steering column removal doesn't look too hard, actually.

TeGGeR®

TeGGeR®,

Thanks for the pdf. Looking at my column, I had 3 concerns. First was the steering joint and if the pdf is like mine it is appears simple. Second, is the clock spring and I still am not sure how the wheel comes apart from it but I will figure it out as I go. Third, the ignition switch and how it connects to the column. In the pdf it appears the ignition switch is part of the column which I know it isn't but it is definitely mounted different than mine.

Reply to
Patrick

Have you tried unplugging the control unit to clear any problems?

David Short Acura God

Reply to
Acura God

I disconnected the battery and removed the fuses for about an hour thinking that would reset anything and no dice.

I took off the motor that controls the tilt and learned that it contains a plastic gear that is stripped. I purchased a steering column from a salvage yard last Friday and worked to swap it out on Saturday.

Unfortunately I got stuck when I couldn't remove the bolts connecting my ignition to the column. The bolt is the type where the head breaks off when you install it so you can't back it out. Any ideas on how to remove them? I tried vice grips but they don't turn the bolt.

Since I needed transportation I reinstalled my original column.

Reply to
Patrick

"Patrick" wrote in news:DoZng.109268$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

Interesting! Just like a power antenna. Have to file that one away for future reference...

A drill. Center-punch the heads, then drill the heads off. They will be removable after that.

You will need to purchase new shear bolts if you want the ignition lock to be non-removable again. If you don't care, just any old Home Depot bolts will do.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Is there anything special that needs to be done when connecting the ignition to the new column or is it just a matter of bolting it together?

Reply to
Patrick

"Patrick" wrote in news:mx_ng.73287$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

Just bolt it together.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Now let me ask a stupid question.

Why does the ignition bolt to the steering column?

The only impact I know is that when the wheel is turned without the key in the ignition it locks up.

Reply to
Patrick

"Patrick" wrote in news:K91og.73358$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

That's it! It's the steering column lock.

Long ago, when the earth was young and car thieves were less sophisticated, it was thought that a car would be less thief-friendly if it could not be steered if the thief didn't have a key. This was supposed to prevent hot- wiring, the preferred method of car theft at that time. And to prevent the thief from being able to simply remove the lock, the bolts were made so their heads sheared off on installation.

It was the steering column lock that resulted in ignition keys migrating from the dash to the sttering column (circa 1968), with safety being a secondary consideration. The only exception to that rule is SAAB, so far as I know. I don't know how SAAB achieves a steering lock with their key being in the center console.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Replaced the steering column today and it works fine. Took about 4 hours exluding lunch and a trip to Home Depot for 2 bolts.

Reply to
Patrick

"Patrick" wrote in news:E7Gpg.60182$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net:

Guess it was easier than it seemed it might be at first?

Do you remember the bolt size you needed?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Having taken it apart the first time and putting it back together makes it much faster the second time. Would have been faster if not for stripping the threads on one of the bolt holes used to remove the steering wheel.

Ignition connecting bolts were 8mm(1.25) x 12mm. I had some at work that were 16mm long or I wouldn't have to had to spend the $1 on 2 bolts.

I took pictures as I went so I could document how to do the work but it really wasn't that difficult so I'm not sure if I will take the next step of writing anything up. The drawing you provided definitely helped my confidence in knowing I could get the job done. Thanks, Tegger.

Reply to
Patrick

"Patrick" wrote in news:hC_qg.62216$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net:

You don't really have to. If you send me your pics and a play-by-play, I can post it for you. It's not really a FAQ, I guess, but is still an interesting project.

Reply to
TeGGeR®