Synthetic oil

Does anyone have experience using synthetic oil in their TL-S? Mine is a

2003. Is synthetic a good move?

Thanks.

Reply to
krhine

I use it in my 1999 NSX and 1977 MB. I have had not problems. The primary reason I use it is these are low milage cars and I only change the oil once a year. On cars where I change it twice a year I use regular oil. I haven't noticed any great benefit from using it except for longevity.

Reply to
Robert Peirce

I have not used it in our TL, however did in our A4, the benefits are longer change cycles and improved cold starting protection. There may or may not be a fuel saving benefit as well. If you switch to synthetic, dont wait until you have a high milage vehicle (switch may cause added sludge from deposites previously built up via conventional oils), and ensure it is a true synthetic, not a blend.

Reply to
RW

I use synthetic in all my cars 'cause I do my own oil changes and the fewer oil changes I do the better. Synthetic has advantages for drivers who use all those RPMs (high heat) or live where it gets very cold (synthetic flows MUCH better during cold starts). Most drivers do fine with conventional oils changed twice a year as suggested by Mr. Peirce. I'll make an exception for any car with a turbo charged engine; synthetic is the only way to go (high heat situation). Use the viscosity suggested in your owner's manual. I admit to avoiding those new tea-cup sized Honda oil filters, though.

Reply to
ACAR