Tachometer bounce up and down repeatedly

I can now reproduce this problem consistently. Engine warm and i'm in Park with consistent 850 RPM idle. I then would just move my shift stick (it's
an automatic), just very slightly down (towards R but not in Reverse yet) and hold it there and my tachometer would start bouncing up and down repeatedly.
What could be causing this? Something loose in the distributor?