Take tires off rims, from home

Hi all
Quick question. I have 4 tires on rims and I would like to take them off their rims without going to a shop. Is it possible to do using the same technique as one would use for bike tires? Anyone tried this?
I was just thinking of deflating them and then lift them off the rim with a metal bar, carefuly so not to "rip" them.
Thanks!
cdn snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Tubeless tires are much harder to remove than are bike tires. The hardest part is that you have to break the bead, which is to move the bead off the rim. This is done with pressure in. I doubt that you can do it by hand without special tools. At the very least you would need something like this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber4542
John
I have used a bumper jack on the tire to break the seal. You could use a small hydraulic jack or the jack that comes with the car. Put the tire under the car or truck and the base of the jack on the tire. Jack against the bumper or wherever there is a solid place above the jack. You will need two or more tire irons to get the tire off the rim after the tire is loose. Derek
Derek Lawler wrote:

That said, it should take any tire shop less than 15 minutes to remove four tires from four rims, and the better ones won't even charge you for it. It's a lot of work to undertake without the proper tools.
Matt Ion wrote:

indeed. it can be done, but it's major sweat. you'll spend more on rehydration fluids than you will paying the guy at the garage to take them off on the proper machine.
cdn snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in

Yeah. Some guy in rec.autos.tech tried this about a year ago. It took him hours and hours and lots of sweat and foul language. You could Google for it.
Take it from me: it ain't worth it. Just let a tire shop do it for you.

These are not bicycle tires, buddy. Not nearly as flexible and soft.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
On 27 Aug 2006 09:03:35 -0700, cdn snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Don't know about "shop", the local gas station can probably do it for you for pocket change.
J.
cdn snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Doing it, at home, is possible. However, it's not advised if you're dealing with alloy rims. Using tire irons, will undoubtedly, mar the finish as you beat them, to pry the tire over the edge
Thanks to all who replied. Seems too complicated for little gain. I'll take them to a local garage. The little $$ they will charge me seems well worth it!
Cheers all
SilverStude wrote:

Especially when I think about how my Dad did it in the early 50's. He would drive over the deflated tire with his light truck. Worked. Chas