TeGGeR's appraisal!

I like it. It reminds me of the appraisal given by Mark Salem, of Salem Brothers auto repair in the Phoenix area. He was on the radio, doing a show on car care and repair, when somebody asked whether Mark thought the car was worth a major repair.

Mark Salem's appraisal was: figure the lease payments for a car to provide the service your car is providing - compact, full size, van, etc. Then compare it against the cost of repair. For example, if facing a $1500 transmission repair and a replacement lease car is $300 per month, after five months the transmission repair is water under the bridge and you are saving $300 per month (less other repair costs). Leave routine maintenance costs out of the picture, because all cars need that.

I also like the preventive repairs you mention. It took me a while, but I finally came around to the "overhaul" approach. One CV boot torn? The other side isn't far behind so that's a good time to do both sides. The increase in reliability is amazing when half the repairs are done before there is actually a failure.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Interesting specially since you are talking about the same car I have . The main difference being that I have 1/3 of your mileage. I have been debating if I should keep it or trading it for a new Acura.

It just happens that I have in my garage a Jag XJS 1978 that I started rebuilding but I run out of enthusiasm. My age also became a factor (76)

I ask a local paint shop to estimate the cost of repainting my Integra with a different color . The answer was 2,200 provided that I do some minor work, like removing the door panels. I proposed to give him my Jaguar in exchange for his Integra work. He is coming to look a the Jag before making a decision.

Vlad

Reply to
Vlad

Vlad wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

For a car of its age, you have lo-miles. This adds to the value.

My mother is 78 and will not even *look* at a computer, and here you are posting to Usenet. You are to be commended for your willingness to keep up with those young whippersnappers whizzing around you.

If the Jag is straight and complete (even if in pieces), you're offering him a potentially good deal there. A condition-3 XJ-S automatic is about $1,400. A manual is about double that. If no corrosion, you can add at least a grand to those prices.

If the body shop will not give you what you want, list the car privately on eBay or AutoTrader instead, then use the cash to get the Integra painted. Good luck.

Reply to
TeGGeR®