Time to change an alternator on a 1990 Integra LS, 5 speed

How long does it take a qualified mechanic? Just curious? Any special tools needed? Does one need a hoist or ramp as it looks very well hidden.

Reply to
MrMusic

MrMusic wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You need to pull the left driveshaft, then the lower alternator bracket.

It's easier than it sounds, but you do need a really good air or electric impact wrench (for the suspension bolts and the axle nut), a proper balljoint tool and a good torque wrench capable of at least 150 ft lbs.

You also need to put at least the driver's side up on a stand. Both sides is better.

And you need a new axle nut. It's not a great idea to re-use the old one.

For the home mechanic, figure on about two hours, start to finish.

I took some pics when I did my '91 'Teg's alternator.

WARNING: Do **NOT** attempt to pop the balljoint without putting the nut back on upside down to protect the stud's threads. I stupidly did that to one of the studs, and it took me a half-hour's careful needle-filing to make the stud fit the nut again.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks Tegger you come thru again. As always. dewayne, coming from the west coast of Canada

Reply to
MrMusic