Time to change an alternator on a 1990 Integra LS, 5 speed

How long does it take a qualified mechanic? Just curious? Any special tools needed? Does one need a hoist or ramp as it looks very well hidden.

You need to pull the left driveshaft, then the lower alternator bracket.
It's easier than it sounds, but you do need a really good air or electric impact wrench (for the suspension bolts and the axle nut), a proper balljoint tool and a good torque wrench capable of at least 150 ft lbs.
You also need to put at least the driver's side up on a stand. Both sides is better.
And you need a new axle nut. It's not a great idea to re-use the old one.
For the home mechanic, figure on about two hours, start to finish.
I took some pics when I did my '91 'Teg's alternator. <http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/alt_replacement/
WARNING: Do **NOT** attempt to pop the balljoint without putting the nut back on upside down to protect the stud's threads. I stupidly did that to one of the studs, and it took me a half-hour's careful needle-filing to make the stud fit the nut again.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Thanks Tegger you come thru again. As always. dewayne, coming from the west coast of Canada