Timing belt Time belt

Page 3 of 3
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 14:18:40 -0500, "James" <anonymous> wrote:

A friend of mine knowingly neglected the recommended timing belt replacement on his car and paid the price. I saw the mess it made of the engine.
I don't think there really are any timing belt stories, It either breaks or it doesn't.
I replace timing belts at the recommended interval and I've never had one break. But what does that prove? I know that my timing belt is *way* less likely to break than yours is though.
I recently bought an old BMW with 190K miles on it, and no service record. Would you care to guess what the first thing was that I did to the car?
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 14:18:40 -0500, "James" <anonymous> wrote:

Most people replace the belt at approximately the recommended interval and very few have a problem with the belt breaking. Many people push it well past the limit and they usually don't have a problem either.
If the belt breaks, it's catastrophic but that very seldom happens. As a result, this isn't a big issue except when some one raises it as a hypothetical.
Above applies to Hondas. Other makes may have different results.
Some stories of timing chain problems indicate they are not perfect either. I remember back in the 70's there were stories of a timing chains slipping a tooth or two as they stretched a little. They would also break but usually only on very high mileage engines (100,000+).
Most of the time back then engines were non-interference so they ran terribly if the chain slipped a tooth or just stopped running when the chain broke. Both with no internal damage. Obviously the chain and sprockets would be changed but sometimes the cover also. I don't remember hearing more damage than that though.
On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 14:18:40 -0500, "James" <anonymous> wrote:

In the late '60's through the 1980's...Pontiac timing chains on their 326 and 421 engines went through a bad patch. If they were going to break or skip a tooth or two, usually happened between 45-50K miles. If they went much beyond then, they usually lasted until the engine was overhauled or the car junked. I never did hear what was happening, but always suspected a chain supplier might have had a quality problem.
The original Audi Fox (1973) and Volkswagen Dasher/Rabbit all shared the same basic Porsche designed engine. The cam was driven by a toothed belt. The alternator had its own V-belt. To replace or tighten the alternator belt, you had to relax both a main support bolt and a bolt on a brace. You pulled the alternator over on the brace, using the bolt as a pivit, to get the correct tension and then retightened the brace bolt. Then the main attachment bolt. Many mechanics forgot to retighten the bolt and engine vibrations could let this bolt slowly back out till the bolt head interferred with the toothed belf running just in front of it. This either broke the belt or jumped the belt a few cam teeth and stopped the engine. It was a non-interference engine and the problem easily remedied with a new belt and properly torqueing down the bolt.
I once had this happen on the way to a house closing in the dark and in my best suit. I coasted into the parking lot of a Montomery Wards, ran inside, bought a pair of cheap jeans and a sweat shirt, changed in the car and with my wife holding the flashlight, I was able to get the bolt back in and the damaged belt onto the cam with (by a minor miracle of good luck) hitting the correct timing the first try. We drove away 30 minutes later and made it to the closing on time. With me in a sweat shirt and jeans and my wife in a lovely dress. At least they let me get the oil and dirt off my hands before we started all the paperwork.
Today, we don't hear of modern belts breaking (or hoses letting go) if they have been maintained by the book.
Paul
On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 16:24:45 -0500, NoMoreRGS

Read the end of his first paragraph.

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,

I think that my Acura TSX has a timing chain, not a belt.
"An automatically adjusted silent-type chain drives the cams; it is maintenance free and runs in an oil bath for maximum durability"