Tire Question

I've had my winter tires since 2004. Although I only have about 17,000km (10,000 miles) on them and the thread still looks pretty good, this is my 5th winter with these tires and I'm wondering if I
should get a new set for next winter. Basically, do tires dry out over time and become less efficient? I keep them in my garage over the summer, not near any electrical motors, etc.
--
"What, me worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman

They're fine. Don't worry about them.
Tires do dry out over time, but 5 years is still OK. If it were me, I might replace them in maybe three years or so. And by then the tread may be down to the point where you'd be replacing them anyway.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 22:32:43 +0000 (UTC), Tegger said:

Thanks.
--
"What, me worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman

This time I disagree with Tegger. 5 years is close to max and may be too long. Oxidation and aging takes a toll.
Besides, a winter tire needs at least 6/32 tread depth to work in snow. That's 3X the minimum tread depth of standard tires. Be a sport, spend $2 and measure tread depth with a proper guage and let us know. I'll bet after 10K miles you are pretty close to 6/32.
On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 23:25:14 -0700 (PDT), ACAR said:

I have 7/32 of an inch left, 2/32 before I hit the markers.
--
"What, me worry?" - Alfred E. Neuman

tires can fail due to rubber flex agents outgassing, and drying the tire. production dates while well hidden are printed on most tires, it is cryptic, but it is a series of numbers....located usually on the inside, the last 4 are the production period 0202 would mean 2nd week of 02. Tires are not supposed to be sold after 6 years due to rubber compound changes (dry rot). Most tires are sold years after production...especially from bargain low volume outlets...they should always be replaced approximately 6 years from production. J