TL Fan Motor Quit

My 2004 TL has another problem. The fan motor quit. Both fuses are fine (I swapped them with others known good), I also ran the diagnostic and got the error code for bad motor.

Has anyone else had trouble with the blower motor on their TL? It seems like an odd problem.

The car has less than 40,000 miles. It's been one problem after another with this car. Very disappointing.

- Russ in Santa Barbara

Reply to
rll

rll wrote in news:C76BFF4D.182D3%rll snipped-for-privacy@cox.net:

Please give the actual DTC, not the text description. The text description is worse than useless.

You mean the rad fan or the interior heater blower motor?

If the interior blower motor, have you checked the motor's cooling tube to see if it's blocked with leaves or other debris? The tube is at the very bottom of the motor assembly and is corrugated and J-shaped. Blockage will cause the motor to overheat and seize.

There is a TSB out on the blower motor wiring sub-harness, but it covers only up to 2003. The TSB says the sub-harness is too short, which puts tension on the connectors and causes them to lose proper contact.

Reply to
Tegger

It turns out it was the transistor pack, not the interior blower motor. A mere $250 and the ventilation/air conditioning is working normally again.

The service writer said I was lucky as the fan motor is $900!

The error code was S, fan motor fault, if that is any help.

Thanks,

- Russ

Reply to
rll