TL info

I am looking at purchasing a 2005 TL, with navigation. I have a few questions that the dealer could not answer:
How many channel receiver is the actual GPS receiver? My Garmin GPS 5 is a
12 channel.
Does the Acura GPS receciver have WAAS capability?
What is the accuracy in feet on the Acura navigation?
Where is the antenna? Does it have any problems with low signal levels, or aquisition, since it is apparently not on the roof?
How far in can you go on the receiver? My Garmin can overzoom to 80 feet full screen.
Is there a screen that shows sginal level of the various satellites and a compass heading etc, similiar to the GPS 5.
Can the DVD player also play MP3 songs on a CD?
Thanks in advance,..
Does anyone have a link to webpages addressing these issues?
Skip

I'm looking at the Navigation User's Manual as I try to answer your questions. My car is a 2005 model TL.

Not addressed.

Not addressed.

Well, it knows what street you are on and the direction you are traveling. So, I'd say +/_ 10 feet or so, more than accurate enough for street navigation. Actual specs aren't stated.

My antenna is in a small pod on the roof in the center of the car just above the rear window. I've only had a signal drop once when I was driving in a pretty deep valley in West Virginia. Drop lasted about 1 minute.

1/20 of a mile (or 80 meters).

No.
Haven't tried this. I'll let you know. Nothing in the manual discusses this, so I don't think it can.

You might want to look up Navigation Technologies, 10400 W. Higgins Rd. Rosemont, IL 60018. I think they build the nav side of the unit.

Paul
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:43:32 GMT, " snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net"

UPDATE: No to the signal levels of the satellites. North compass heading is shown on screen and the user can select to have the display oriented always to North or in the actual direction the car is headed at that moment. North arrow is always shown on the screen.

UPDATE: I did a test of this with MP3's on a CD-R disk and the system cannot read the disk. It gives a "FORMAT" error and ejects the disk.

Thanks to everyone regarding the TL Nav info. I will look up Navigation technologies. If the accuracy is 1/20 of a mile, that equates to264 feet! Ouch!! How can you tell what side of the road you are on with that kind of error rate?

SKIP wrote:

I dont' believe anyone said the accuracy is 1/20 mile, instead, the screen can be zoomed to 1/20 mile, meaning the area you see on the screen equates to 264 feet. It's extremely accurate, in fact, it also factors in things like yaw rate and speed when calculating the position. BTW, just to correct a few things others have said, the antenna is on the rear speaker shelf. The one on the roof is the XM antenna. You actually can get satellite info but you need to bring up the diagnostic screens to get it. To get into diag mode, press and hold the MAP,MENU, and CANCEL buttons. Lots of really cool stuff there but you can screw up the system royally if you're not careful. You've been warned! :)
Dan:
Cool. Sounds better. I do like my Garmin, but it is small and somewaht a pain to download the maps. I will have to check out the Nav at my local dealer. When are the )6's coming out and any changes?

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 12:27:57 -0700, "SKIP"

For several years before buying my '04 TL with Navi, I used a Garmin dash unit (StreetPilot Color). It's really a very nice unit with the only slight negatives being it's relatively small screen size and downloading the maps can be a bit of a pain unless you buy additional and/or larger RAM chips.
However, even with that experience, I can tell you that I've sold the Garmin unit and I love the TL's Navi. It's just accurate. It calculates very good routes with different routing options if desired. The screen is larger than the Garmin units. It's integrated with the TL's voice system, the Bluetooth system (for calling POI telephone #'s), and the HVAC system.
A dealer in Texas advised me that when each new model year comes out, is when they update the DVD for the Nav. Has anyone found that to be true?

No. There have been 3 updates since my 2000 TL was new (5 years).
On 6/26/05 3:24 PM, in article snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com, "SKIP"

Yes. They have to, just like a paper map. Streets change and are added. Highways are re-routed. Etc., etc., etc...
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 13:24:50 -0700, "SKIP"

They do have new versions come out periodically but it's not been 12 months as far as I remember. It's more like 18 months on average.
Do existing users have to pay for the updates, or are they automatically sent to them free of charge? If they charge, how much are they?

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 17:00:16 -0700, "SKIP"

The DVD updates are mostly maps and POI updates but can include software patches. I say that so the price won't surprise you as much (hopefully) as it might. I just bought the latest upgrade for my 2004 TL. It was $185, plus $12 for 2-day shipping, plus $15.91 sales tax. Total was $212.91. I don't know if I'll update every time but we'll see.
A great conversation on nav. I have a 2004 TL WO/Nav, they were not readily available when I bought except with stick shift. Didn't consider it a big deal at the time but have changed my mind. I would have waited for a nav unit had I known. Nav's like air conditioning was, if never had one don't miss it, once you have one can never own a car without it again, at least in my opinion.
Faced with trading in my 04 with only 11k miles for an 05 with nav I elected to buy a portable unit instead and give nav a try. Bought a Garmin 2620 which is fantastic. Though more expensive than previous model it is superior in that it contains a hard drive so all maps are in it already, no downloading necessary and also no battery necessary as routes saved and so forth written to drive. Decent screen size and resolution, decent speed, all the features near as I can tell of most any nav unit. yes I will get 06 TL with Nav installed, there is no doubt, but for something in the meantime the garmin 2620 has proven to be an excellent choice. Will keep that in second car and for travel times when rental used.
George in NY

Actually, on my '99 there's a "secret" setup screen that tells you what satellites are being tracked and their signal strength, among many other diagnostic items. Look at http://www.navhelp.com for info on the secret screen and other info.
WAAS would (by my understanding) not be too useful as it is supposedly available only along the coasts (spill over from the oceans) and larger lakes, like the great lakes.
The nav tries to track you to a road on the '99, anyway, and uses the gyro plus odometer to try to show your location more accurately.
There's a compass on the upper right of the screen. Touch it and it changes it's mode of operation.
--Mort
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 20:43:32 GMT, " snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net"

-- Mort
I didn't get the navigation system, but the stock radio does play Mp3 encoded discs wonderfully.

or

Did Acura add MP3 support to their CD palyer and not make a big deal of it?? I remember reading a review of 2004 TL audio system in an audio magazine and they had an interview in there with one of Acura audio system designers. Interviewer explicitly asked about lack of MP3 support and the designer said something to the effect that MP3 is inferior quality and they were going for high quality audio system in TL, and therefore MP3 did not belong there. Acura still does not list MP3 support in the specs on their web page.
-- Khalid

message wrote:

not sure. but our 2005 plays mp3 encoded discs just fine. The audio is 5.1 surround. A high quality mp3 320 bitrate is really no different than cd.
"" wrote:
> wrote in > message wrote: > > > I didn't get the navigation system, but the stock radio > does play Mp3 > > > encoded discs wonderfully. > > > > Did Acura add MP3 support to their CD palyer and not make a > big deal of > > it?? I remember reading a review of 2004 TL audio system in > an audio > > magazine and they had an interview in there with one of > Acura audio > > system designers. Interviewer explicitly asked about lack of > MP3 support > > and the designer said something to the effect that MP3 is > inferior > > quality and they were going for high quality audio system in > TL, and > > therefore MP3 did not belong there. Acura still does not > list MP3 > > support in the specs on their web page. > > > > -- > > Khalid > > not sure. but our 2005 plays mp3 encoded discs just fine. > The audio is 5.1 > surround. A high quality mp3 320 bitrate is really no > different than cd.
I just recently bought a TL and the answer is No, they did not add support for MP3 in neither the Nav system option nor without. I dont know if Don Moore is actually driving a TL. My guess is he has a TSX or with the multimedia player or an RL which supports MP3 natively.