TL use 91 octane?

My owner's manual for the 07 TL indicates that 91 octane is "recommended" (not required) for best performance, and that octane below 87 will damage the engine.

Is anyone using below 91 octane on a regular basis? If so, how does performance/MPG differ?

Reason I ask is that a Lexus salesman told me that Lexus "recommends"

91 also, but many of his customers run 87 with no problems or decline in performance, and that it will not void warranty. I suspect it will not void Acura warranty either.
Reply to
Luca

MY 2005 TL Owners Manual states the following on page 172:

Fuel Recommendation: "Your vehicle is designed to operate on premium unleaded gasoline with a pump octane of 91 or higher. If this octane grade is unavailable, regular unleaded gasoline with a pump octane of 86 or higher may be used temporarily. The use of regular unleaded gasoline can cause metallic knocking noises in the engine and will result in decreased engine performance. The long-term use of regular-grade gasoline can lead to engine damage.

We recommend quality gasolines containing detergent additives that help prevent fuel system and engine deposits.

In addition, in order to maintain good performance, fuel economy, and emissions control, we strongly recommend, in areas where it is available, the use of gasoline that does NOT contain manganese-based fuel additives such as MMT."

Continues relative to impact to performance, You can use fuel with up to a 10% ethanol content. Methanol is not to be used.

The TL engine is a high compression engine and even with knock sensors, etc., trying to limit detonation through timing adjustments, enriching the mixture temporarily, and so forth, detonation can hole a piston in fractions of a second. Using lower octane fuels is not worth the risk. The cost difference between regular 87 octane fuel and 91 or higher over the life of the car is minimal compared to the cost of an engine rebuilt/replacement.

I think it goes without saying that if you have to put regular in for some reason, drive the engine VERY gently and get some premium into the tank as soon as possible and drive gently until a full tank of premium can be obtained.

I have seen some stations in the USA now offering only two grades of fuel, 87 and 91, much like Europe. I hope we can switch to a two grade system here and stop paying for the extra octane grades we don't need in the cars.

Paul

Reply to
Ramapo

If you want to run regular, you might want to consider an Accord V6 or I4. They all run regular.

Reply to
tww1491

I don't "want" to run regular, and I don't want another car.

I bought the car knowing the 91 octane recommmendation, and have no problem with it. I just asked about people's experiences, to explore possibilities.

Reply to
Luca

'04 TSX and '05 MDX run fine on the 89 octane I get here in North Carolina. Our "Premium" is 93. I do notice some difference between brands - BP 89 runs better than no-name 93...

Reply to
Nick Cassimatis

I pity the person who eventually gets your car. They are in for an awakening.

Reply to
nick