Too Hot Leather

OK, jests aside, here's my problem. I have black leather seats and I have to park outside, in the sun, during the work day. By the end of the day, even with my tinted windows and top cracked open, the seats are really hot, and they stay uncomfortable during the entire ride home (only about 30 minutes). What do people use to protect the leather from the sun and will also provide some seat ventilation during my commute?

Reply to
krhine

I have black on black. I put in a remote starter so the AC is cranking before I get in, it cools the seats a bit.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

"krhine" wrote in news:GjGci.412$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Possibly a silly solution: Get a couple of cheap white terry-cloth towels or large white pillowcases. Drape one over each seat when you leave it. Fold up and slip under seat when not in use.

Or maybe those seat covers that are made of wooden beads. They keep your body off the hot leather and provide ventilation as well.

Reply to
Tegger

"krhine" wrote in news:GjGci.412$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Those reflective folding shields you put behind the windshield will reduce the temps a noticeable amount.

Reply to
akheel

Not silly at all. As a former Phoenix resident I can say this solution (I always used terry towels) and the windshield shades mentioned by 'akheel' are very effective ways of controlling the heat. Both also control the damage done by the hot sunshine.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

People in the Phoenix area never, ever, buy black on black cars. If you see one, chances are good that it's from out of state...

Reply to
Larry in AZ

Larry in AZ wrote in news:Xns99517C50FABF6thefrogprince@69.28.173.184:

It gets hot here in Florida,too,yet people still buy black cars with black interiors. They usually get dark tint on their windows,too.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

That rings a bell. The other thing that helps is large chrome wheels and rubber band tires. I think that the larger surface area of the chrome wheels reflecting sunlight away from the car is what helps.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Just spring for a couple sheepskin covers. They might be warm when you get in, but are great for hot or cold... I'd think your steering wheel would be more of a problem...

Reply to
Bob Johnstone

Arizona has Florida beat easily for high temperatures, it's the humidity we can't compete with. Only four months of the year have not seen 100 F temperatures in Phoenix, with the earliest 100 F temperature being the first Saturday in Spring. Local weathermen in the Valley of the Sun have an unwritten rule that temperatures below 110 F are not to be called "hot;" 109 F is "sunny and warmer." My favorite forecast was, "Tomorrow, sunny and cooler, high 113." The good news is that 120 F is rare, the bad news is that

110 F is common.

Temperatures inside closed cars in the summertime can be very destructive;

180 F has been reported. When I worked in avionics in Phoenix a customer complained the knobs on his radio (KX-145 for pilots who remember those) wouldn't turn. We found the plastic shafts had fused to the faceplate.

Tint is very popular in Phoenix, but dark interiors are a sign of mental defect.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:ffKdnTpYuf9TX-nbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

I agree on both counts.

Whether it's 140 degF or 180 degF inside the car,my butt still doesn't like it. Cloth seats for me.

window tint does keep the cloth from fading,but doesn't do much WRT keeping the interior cool. I guess it would let the airco cool it down quicker.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Overall canvas car-cover works, too.

J.